signing today..feel sick

May 7, 2013
We are sieging today on a 18 x36 Inground Vinyl.

The weather in Ohio has been terrible and I am feeling sick about moving forward. Its a ton of money to fork over...is it normal to feel nervous and anxious about your decision? Is this a sign we shouldn't move forward.

Anyone else feel like this and if you did, did you regret it or is this a normal part of the process?

My wife felt that way. I didn't though. We thought about it a year and I felt comfortable on pulling the trigger. It is a lot of money but it will be worth it. Sure I could invest the money and retire a few years earlier, but you only live once. I'd much rather enjoy 20 years of swimming with my kids than hoard my money.

Congratulations! I haven't ever put in a new pool, but I feel sick every time we make a large purchase (DH has had to talk me down off a ledge at several real estate closings) but it's gotten better with time. When we purchased our "new" house with the existing pool, I was a wreck. 18 months later and I am a complete pool-convert (even with all the problems of having an old pool) and love it!

Thanks everyone. I do feel a bit better

Massnerd: you are so right! You do only live once and we are so used to hording money, its about time we do something for ourselves and our kids. I really like the 20 years of enjoyment, now instead of hording it and hoping to retire early when I may or may not even make it that far. Hoping thats not the case, but you never know.

Thanks for the perspective. I think im starting to get excited :)

Congratulations - on taking the big step !

We also signed our contract a few days ago and had closing for our loan today. We also have mixed feelings of concern and excitement. Its a big project to take on and a major expense. You brain tells you one thing and the heart tells you another. We are also hoping that its all worth it in the end.

Best of luck with the project and many happy years of swimming/fun to come.

Cheers!

My 2cents worth? Yes it was indeed a LOT of money. I think it was my husband that was feeling on edge and skeptical in 2011 when we made the plunge ( I was all in). A year layer?.....he said it was the best "family" investment we could have made. I grew up in Ohio and now live in sc where we get 5-6 months of open pool but still have friends in oh that sware it is a great family investment.

I would feel that way.

Mostly because of all the horror stories about contractor's flaking, shoddy workmanship, and so on. If my house didn't already have the pool installed, I doubt I would have one, but if I did, it would be an above-ground so I could install it myself.

Take pictures all the way through the process, just in case things ever end up in court.

I know...I'm not being encouraging... but at least you know you're not alone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As long as you did all your homework and have confidence in your PB you will look back next year and wonder why you worried so much. I am just starting my research now, it is a Huge amount of money, but I agree you only live once. My biggest concern is my company has moved me every 3 years or so. My kids are now in school and we love where we live. At this point in life I am prepared to say no, I have said no 2 times the past year to a couple promotions that required a move. No money in the world can replace great times with the family and them been happy where we live, you can't buy that with any type of promotion money.

Thanks Everyone! Well we did it. i am excited now and still a bit nervous. Very odd feeling. They came and layed everything out. I hope I made the right choices in autocover color, liner etc... im sure it will be nice. I honestly cant belive we are committed. I do have a bit of a smile on my face.

WWells- that is too funny! The PB had to wrestle the check out of my hands too. I almost chased him down the driveway yelling. "Noooo give me my money back". Just kidding, but your post made me chuckle and realize I'm not the only one who feels that way.

I too can relate....lots of emotions attached to something like this. I think it will come and go for a while but my prediction is that your emotional reading will trend upward with the temperature and the percentage complete of the pool.

Two thoughts: first is that your pool is something unique to you, your family, and this home. You are making memories that will last and have something to keep you together and away from the TV, computer, smartphone (OK not fully away but you know what I mean).

second thought is to put up a picture (full-color artist rendering if you have it) on your fridge and start saying things like, "this would be a great day to jump in the pool" or "I feel like a swim" from time to time starting NOW. Guaranteed it will put a smile on your face to hear yourself saying those things.

:lol:

P.S. Have you started a construction thread yet? We'd love to see pictures as you go.

I haven't started construction yet. Wish we had! Seems like its taking forever. Said 3 weeks. Second to last week of July.

Did it take you all this long to start? We did tear out or deck, so I guess my husband and I started.

Keeps raining here. Total bummer. I only have two pictures so far. 1 the back of the house and 1 without the deck.

I hope it gets doe before summers over

plunging said:
I haven't started construction yet. Wish we had! Seems like its taking forever. Said 3 weeks. Second to last week of July.

Did it take you all this long to start? We did tear out or deck, so I guess my husband and I started.

Keeps raining here. Total bummer. I only have two pictures so far. 1 the back of the house and 1 without the deck.

I hope it gets doe before summers over

We built over the winter and it took 8 months, but that was sizable retaining wall, pool, waterfall, fireplace, yard, etc. and I was the GC, and i work full time. Still can't get used to the idea that we are "pool people" but we have really enjoyed the pool as well as sharing it with friends and family. It is a big investment but we feel it was definitely worth the wait but as carnut12 said, do your homework on this forum so you will be an informed consumer. Best wishes!

I think our permit took over a month for various reasons. Signed contract 12/14/12 and first swim was 5/30/13. Several delays, some on our part, some not. Dig was 2/14.

BTW - Let's see those two pics you do have!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.