I drank the Kool-Aid....

I would only suspect ammonia was still a problem if all the CYA kept going away, faster than backwashing alone would suggest. Usually the only time you have to worry about ammonia is if you have a very swampy pool for a long period of time (like over the winter), or if somehow fertilizer gets washed into the pool. The strong chlorine smell is actually the chloramines (CC). Once they break down the smell goes away.

bharkin said:
pH 7.5
FC 12.5
CC 2.5
all other tests were the same.

So if I am understanding it correctly, I keep it the shock level until it holds on the overnight test with no more of a drop than 1ppm on the FC and = to or < 0.5 ppm CC.

Yep, and till your water is clear. Welcome to TFP! Isn't it fun proving that guy wrong when he is supposed to be the expert? Only one "qualified" indeed!!! I can qualify a kid to run these tests and run them as well as anyone. Five minutes for bleach...It does make me wonder if he believes that, or knows it's a lie. Really makes me wonder...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.