Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I drank the Kool-Aid....

1. Back To Top    #1

I drank the Kool-Aid....

Ok, I did the same thing that most of us did, believed the "Pool Guy". He said I had to get my chemicals from him, and that only he was "qualified" to test my water. He said don't use those "other" chemicals you can get from Wally World as they are inferior to his and contain stuff you don't want in your pool. Heck, he even told me that using bleach would only last about 5 minutes in the pool.

And then ..... I saw error of my ways. I ordered and received my own test kit (a TFT TF-100) and found that bleach lasts longer than 5 minutes.....

I did my first test:
    pH 7.2
    FC .5
    CC 2.5
    TA 150
    CH 260
    CYA 25

I plugged those numbers into the handy dandy... Pool calculator, and was rewarded with the info that I needed a whopping $2.50* worth of bleach, and some aerating to lower my TA. To think, he said I needed $50.00 worth of shock/chemicals to do the same thing..... silly pool guy, tricks are for kids....

* your price may vary, not applicable in all states. Tax tag and dealer prep extra..... or wait sorry, wrong commercial.
    Outback 27' Round 17000 AGP, Pentair Dynaflo 1.5 hp 1 spd, Pentair Sand Dollar 1610 filter, Pool Frog (DOA)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I drank the Kool-Aid....

Welcome!

I'd say you're darn lucky the CYA isn't well into triple digits.

By the way, aeration raises pH, it doesn't lower TA. You raise pH by aeration, then add acid to lower TA and pH. So you'll need a couple bucks worth of acid, too.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Welcome!

By the way, aeration raises pH, it doesn't lower TA. You raise pH by aeration, then add acid to lower TA and pH. So you'll need a couple bucks worth of acid, too.
    Thanks Richard, that was what I meant..... I was just so drunk with happiness over the money I'm saving I got tongue tied....

Also, the water is quite cloudy, but I know that eventually the filter will clear it. Is there an alternative to using "Sparkle-xx"?
    Outback 27' Round 17000 AGP, Pentair Dynaflo 1.5 hp 1 spd, Pentair Sand Dollar 1610 filter, Pool Frog (DOA)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by bharkin
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Welcome!

Thanks Richard, that was what I meant..... I was just so drunk with happiness over the money I'm saving I got tongue tied....

Also, the water is quite cloudy, but I know that eventually the filter will clear it. Is there an alternative to using "Sparkle-xx"?
    With CC that high and the water being cloudy, you are likely going to need to follow the shock process outlined in pool school to get rid of anything "growing" in your water.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't know SparkleX but its likely the solution to cloudy water is filter, test, bleach, repeat until clear.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

OK, after adding the 2 gallons of bleach as requested by Pool Calculator, I retested. My FC is 7.5 and my CC is 3.0. I just added another 96 oz of bleach and will retest in an hour or so. Why is my CC going up? As I recall I want it at .5, right? Am I doing something wrong?

Sparkle-xx is Sparkle-up from Bio-Guard

7. Back To Top    #7

You want the CC to be 0 as much as possible. When you see any CC, it means the bleach is doing its job killing off contaminants in your pool. Usually if you get 1.0 or more then you have a lot of organics/contaminants in the water and you need to perform the shock process to clean everything up. Your CC is going up because the bleach is doing its job. Use the pool calculator to determine shock level for your pool, raise it to shock level and keep it there as often as possible until you pass the overnight test. Read through shocking your pool, defeating algae, and the overnight test for more details.

Also the fact that you have cloudy water is another indication that you need to perform the shock process. I see you listed a Pool Frog in your signature. Have you been using the mineral packs?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

I used it last year. I took the mineral pack out last winter and have not replaced it. As soon as I get the water "repaired", I plan on taking it off and start using a SWG, probably an Intex SWG.

9. Back To Top    #9

It looks like you were somewhat lucky, those test results don't look too bad, at least not compared to some. Your pool guy was partly right about avoiding Wal-Mart chemicals because they contain things you don't want, well at least some of them do. Last I checked Wal-Mart sells HTH chemicals and many of their products contain copper, we are strongly against adding any metals to pools around here, so avoid those products with copper. (read the fine print on active ingredients)

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    (read the fine print on active ingredients)
    I found myself reading the fine print on the back more than the big stuff on the front. All the "stuff" had "exciting" SHOCK names when it's all the same or wrong stuff.

Since going BBB, it's much easier. Fewer small panels to read.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    Your pool guy was partly right about avoiding Wal-Mart chemicals because they contain things you don't want, well at least some of them do. Last I checked Wal-Mart sells HTH chemicals and many of their products contain copper, we are strongly against adding any metals to pools around here, so avoid those products with copper. (read the fine print on active ingredients)
    What kind of things would a TFP member be buying with metal in it? I really don't know what kind of things have metal in them, and would they actually say the metal in it? I see my HTH bottles say things like "other" and "inert ingredients".

The only "Chemicals" you really need to buy would be HTH liquid chlorine 10% and the granual stabilizer/conditioner. I'm trying to figure out what someone who's a member of this site would buy from wal-mart besides those 2 things that would have metal in it? Both of which I have bought from there and HTH brand now you got me wondering. I guess someone with a plan could buy dichlor power to raise FC and CYA, does that have metal in it?
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

12. Back To Top    #12

[quote=scott.MI]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Isaac-1":2plmslx6
    Your pool guy was partly right about avoiding Wal-Mart chemicals because they contain things you don't want, well at least some of them do. Last I checked Wal-Mart sells HTH chemicals and many of their products contain copper, we are strongly against adding any metals to pools around here, so avoid those products with copper. (read the fine print on active ingredients)
    What kind of things would a TFP member be buying with metal in it? I really don't know what kind of things have metal in them, and would they actually say the metal in it? I see my HTH bottles say things like "other" and "inert ingredients".

The only "Chemicals" you really need to buy would be HTH liquid chlorine 10% and the granual stabilizer/conditioner. I'm trying to figure out what someone who's a member of this site would buy from wal-mart besides those 2 things that would have metal in it? Both of which I have bought from there and HTH brand now you got me wondering. I guess someone with a plan could buy dichlor power to raise FC and CYA, does that have metal in it?[/quote:2plmslx6]Some of the pucks have copper in them. Yes - some of us do use them from time to time! They're great for vacations, and since I lose CYA when I drain to lower CH, I have to replace it somehow.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

does it flat out say it in active ingredients? xy% copper? I've pretty much only seen "Other ingredients" or "Inert Ingredients". Just trying to build my knowledge base.
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by scott.MI
    does it flat out say it in active ingredients? xy% copper? I've pretty much only seen "Other ingredients" or "Inert Ingredients". Just trying to build my knowledge base.
    Yes, they do. Frequently it's cupro or cuprous and then a whole mouthful of letters. Just read the label. Inert ingredients are probably inorganic binders like clay.

15. Back To Top    #15

So the green is NOW gone..... water is milky, FC is 13, pump is pumping, filter is filtering. flux capacitor is.... fluxing.... all is right in the world.

16. Back To Top    #16

Not all the chemicals at wal-mart are bad. If it says anything-blue
    It has copper in it.

Since my CYA (stabilizer) level is low when I start up the pool I
    toss some 1" tablets in a floater, as I'm clearing the pool. Them
    its back to BBB+saltwater generator!

Whatever you do, be cautious about using powdered 'shock' that
    Has calcium in it. The water in NC has a high calcium level
    To start with. The calcium hypochlorite (powdered shock) makes
    The hard NC water even harder!

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by bharkin
    OK, after adding the 2 gallons of bleach as requested by Pool Calculator, I retested. My FC is 7.5 and my CC is 3.0. I just added another 96 oz of bleach and will retest in an hour or so. Why is my CC going up? As I recall I want it at .5, right? Am I doing something wrong?

Sparkle-xx is Sparkle-up from Bio-Guard
    There are other options out there that are much cheaper. I use Purifiber. Bought mine a couple years ago from their website. It was about $50.00 delivered right to my door for a 25 pound bag. Lots cheaper than Sparkle Up which runs about $28.00 for 1.5 pounds! And with 25 pounds of Purifiber I have enough to last for almost ever!
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

18. Back To Top    #18

ok, so I have a question. I have been testing and adding bleach, brushing well, and backwashing when needed. I see no algae now even while brushing. The FC levels are still not holding steady, the CC are getting lower. It's still milky.

pH 7.5
    FC 3.5
    CC 2.5
    CYA 25
    TA 150

I guess my question is, am I missing something or am I just being a little impatient?

19. Back To Top    #19

You need to practice P.O.P. Pool Owner Patience. Your pool needs a little time to finish and clear, but you are on the right track.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

20. Back To Top    #20

pH 7.5
    FC 12.5
    CC 2.5
    all other tests were the same.

So if I am understanding it correctly, I keep it the shock level until it holds on the overnight test with no more of a drop than 1ppm on the FC and = to or < 0.5 ppm CC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast