Old Concrete Pool Rehab

grnson

Jan 2, 2013
Been lurking around the site taking in as much information as possible so I figure it is about time that I post up my project. I'm going on my 3rd year of pool ownership and learning a lot along the way. I bought the house/pool as a short sale so things weren't in the best of shape to begin with. The pool looked like a swamp and after jumping through hurdles and making it through closing it was time to start working. I've never seen so many decomposing leaves in one place. The pool was full. Apparently it hadn't been used in a few years and left uncovered to collect leaves and mosquitoes.
CschbLXl.jpg

After draining, major leaf removal, plumbing checks, and Some power washing I refilled and was able to use it. Not pretty, but cold and wet! At some point the origional plumbing had been bypassed and a pump and filter were set beside the pool and lines run over the side. Not completely sure if I should give up and just fill it in, I figured if there weren't any major issues I would sink some money into paint and pump rehab the next spring.
yM5LykCl.jpg

OFHwX66l.jpg

So last spring the real fun began. Plumbing repair, concrete patching, more power washing and sanding, and epoxy paint. It was a painful process, but looks much better than it did. The house was built in 1949 and I believe the pool around the same time from what I've been told. The original plumbing was galvanized steel and some form of black poly pipe, but that was all long gone before I moved in.

AazGhQwl.jpg

6nilXUMl.jpg

iHgWdNZl.jpg

F7DwaIVl.jpg

fN1rmj7l.jpg

It was very nice to take the cover off this spring and have clear water and a normal pool opening! I started the pool on traditional chemicals and have switched to the BBB method after reading all of the reviews here. So far so good. Hoping to enjoy the pool for the season and figure out what to do about coping during the off season. Any suggestions for coping? I have an odd space around the pool that you can see in the pictures. Rather than bringing the concrete and stone to the edge of the pool it has a 2 inch drop off all the way around. I figure it would be the perfect place to add some form of stone coping to give it a finished look.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.