Opeining Pool - Green water

Those appear to be test strip results?

If so, I would not trust them. The results you get from them can not be trusted, especially the cya test. Also FC cannot be higher than TC since FC+CC=TC (and CC can not be less than 0).

What you need to do is the shocking process, but to do that you need a reliable way of measuring FC and CC and also an accurate cya level. See this link for our recommendation for an appropriate test kit: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison.

I believe so it is aquachek test strips. I have shocked it for 3 straight days now. I have used algae destroyer as well. I used 7 pounds last night and nothing. I just know cya is low. Will Muratic acid work because we used that last summer. And the test strips I have used them for my ph and alkaline because I had to adjust them since ph was too high.

The strips are not accurate enough, you really need a good test kit (see linen's post above.) Until you know where you are with accurate test results anything you do will simply be a shot in the dark. The surest and least expensive way to get where you want to be is following the shock process as detailed in Pool School.

Did you decide to add the alge destroyer or this from a pool store? Either way its going to cost less for a good test kit than it will be to just keep throwing stuff in hoping it works or buying what the pool store is selling you. For the record a pool store test is most times not any better. To take control you need to test yourself so you can test often until cleared.

For clarification did you add 7 lbs of chlorine or 7 lbs alge destroyer? Muratic acid does nothing to raise your CYA levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I went to the store again told me to put in two bottles of algae destroyer and 8 pounds of super shock tonight. It is green not cloudy green also my filter cartridge keeps getting clogged with algae have to wash it out 4 times a day.

You have to decide if you are going to take control of your pool and follow the advice and methods found here (which will ultimately save you money) or follow the advice of the pool store. Trying to mix and match advice is going to lead to confusion and waste everyone's time and your money.

We have told you what you should do. It is proven in the thousands of threads here. Now you have to decide your path forward.

What color are you rinsing out of the filter? I thought I had algae until I realized by some threads on here that it was iron. Metals can turn the water green but it's still clear. It will also deposit on the filter. Mine was a gold/green deposit. Just a thought...
Everyone on this board knows what they are talking about!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.