Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opeining Pool - Green water

1. Back To Top    #1

Opeining Pool - Green water

I have been having problems with my pool. We opened it on Monday have been shocking it since and it is still green. I have put in a lot of algae destroyer. Will it ever be blue again?
    Rectangle pool above ground vinyl liner,16,000 gallons, Hayward pro swimmer voyager

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opeining Pool - Green water

Welcome to tfp, Ednalopez546

Please read this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...efore_you_post We really need good test results to help you.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

16x32 Oval In-ground Vinyl, ~17,000 gallons, Hayward 1hp Superpump, Hayward S245T Sand Filter

Worn out sand? sand-filter-expert-help-t30049.html
    Drain the easy way: cyanuric-acid-blues-draining-pool-t43843.html
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html , pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock , pool-school/shocking_your_pool

4. Back To Top    #4

Hardness-500
    TC- 5
    FC-10
    PH-7.2
    TA-120
    CYA-Was yellow so zero
    Rectangle pool above ground vinyl liner,16,000 gallons, Hayward pro swimmer voyager

5. Back To Top    #5

Your pH is good so the next step is to get your CYA level up to around 20 and bring the chlorine up to shock level. Without some CYA you will use much more chlorine for the shock process. Read this: pool-school/defeating_algae and it will guide you to a sparkling clear pool.
    16x32 Oval In-ground Vinyl, ~17,000 gallons, Hayward 1hp Superpump, Hayward S245T Sand Filter

http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html , pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock , pool-school/shocking_your_pool

6. Back To Top    #6

Those appear to be test strip results?

If so, I would not trust them. The results you get from them can not be trusted, especially the cya test. Also FC cannot be higher than TC since FC+CC=TC (and CC can not be less than 0).

What you need to do is the shocking process, but to do that you need a reliable way of measuring FC and CC and also an accurate cya level. See this link for our recommendation for an appropriate test kit: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...kit_comparison.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

I believe so it is aquachek test strips. I have shocked it for 3 straight days now. I have used algae destroyer as well. I used 7 pounds last night and nothing. I just know cya is low. Will Muratic acid work because we used that last summer. And the test strips I have used them for my ph and alkaline because I had to adjust them since ph was too high.

8. Back To Top    #8

The strips are not accurate enough, you really need a good test kit (see linen's post above.) Until you know where you are with accurate test results anything you do will simply be a shot in the dark. The surest and least expensive way to get where you want to be is following the shock process as detailed in Pool School.

9. Back To Top    #9

Is it cloudy green or more clear green?

10. Back To Top    #10

Did you decide to add the alge destroyer or this from a pool store? Either way its going to cost less for a good test kit than it will be to just keep throwing stuff in hoping it works or buying what the pool store is selling you. For the record a pool store test is most times not any better. To take control you need to test yourself so you can test often until cleared.

For clarification did you add 7 lbs of chlorine or 7 lbs alge destroyer? Muratic acid does nothing to raise your CYA levels.
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

11. Back To Top    #11

I went to the store again told me to put in two bottles of algae destroyer and 8 pounds of super shock tonight. It is green not cloudy green also my filter cartridge keeps getting clogged with algae have to wash it out 4 times a day.

12. Back To Top    #12

You have to decide if you are going to take control of your pool and follow the advice and methods found here (which will ultimately save you money) or follow the advice of the pool store. Trying to mix and match advice is going to lead to confusion and waste everyone's time and your money.

We have told you what you should do. It is proven in the thousands of threads here. Now you have to decide your path forward.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

What color are you rinsing out of the filter? I thought I had algae until I realized by some threads on here that it was iron. Metals can turn the water green but it's still clear. It will also deposit on the filter. Mine was a gold/green deposit. Just a thought...
    Everyone on this board knows what they are talking about!!

14. Back To Top    #14

I actually worked my pool is much better. It is cloudy blue and it still has some green sitting on the floor. Should I just vacuum it up or keep shocking it?

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Should I just vacuum it up or keep shocking it?
    The shock Process calls for you to do both (and more). Keep your FC at shock value, filter 24/7, and vacuum and brush as often as practicable.

read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School