Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Topping off the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Topping off the pool

After going through the shock process and several backwashes, my pool is starting to get a bit low in the skimmer. We have a well hooked up to our outside water spigots. What do you all think about topping off the pool this way or should I run the hose down into the basement and fill off city water? I need to raise it maybe a inch or inch and a half. The well water is super cold, taste awesome but is pretty hard. We had a lot of issues when we used the well to 100% fill our intex several years ago. Would this small amount make a huge difference or should I just go off city water and now worry about it?
    24x54 ABG 15,200 gal, 22in Ecco Sand Filter, 1.5HP Ecco pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Topping off the pool

If it were me, I would use the city water.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Check the well water for metals before using it to fill the pool. You don't want to add any metals if you can avoid it.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Simple enough answer, I know we have some metals in the well. That was the issue we had to fight with when filling the intex pool. I will run a hose to the basement. Pool is looking good and I don't want to do anything that can change that.

Thanks!
    24x54 ABG 15,200 gal, 22in Ecco Sand Filter, 1.5HP Ecco pump