Main drain replacement

WshnIwslofn

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 12, 2007
Hey, thanks all of you who are answering my questions! You are all life and money savers!

Replacing my inground vinyl liner and need to know the tips for the main drain. I put a gasket down, liner, gasket, flange and then the drain cover, correct? Do I need to glue or caulk any of it? The flange screws looked like they had either tape or glue on them and the flange was caulked. Also do I put a couple of feet of water in before before putting flange and cover down?
Thanks again for all your expertise! Kay

Hi, Kay,

I didn't put a main drain in my pool so I am not qualified. Ted (waste) is the man. He's in his busy season but loves to help out. You might consider a PM to him as this thread may be hard to find this evening. He will not mind.

WshnIwslofn said:
Hey, thanks all of you who are answering my questions! You are all life and money savers!

Replacing my inground vinyl liner and need to know the tips for the main drain. I put a gasket down, liner, gasket, flange and then the drain cover, correct? Do I need to glue or caulk any of it? The flange screws looked like they had either tape or glue on them and the flange was caulked. Also do I put a couple of feet of water in before before putting flange and cover down?
Thanks again for all your expertise! Kay

Kay, sorry I didn't see this earlier :( You've pretty much got the idea on how it works :goodjob: A gasket goes on either side of the liner and the faceplate/ flange secures it all, then the drain cover goes on after you cut out the liner. What you want to do is have ~4" of water in the deep end before putting on the 2nd gasket, flange and cover. This way you can work out any wrinkles and the liner won't move - if you didn't have the water in there, the liner could shift and if you didn't work out the wrinkles first - there's a chance that one of them could be rendered unremovable by the flange. To keep the 'under the liner gasket from moving you could tape it down with duct tape (tape it N S E & W between the holes, when you cut out the liner you can trim the tape on the inside of the drain pot or just ignore it as no one will ever see it.) Make sure that the screw holes in the pot itself are free of debris so that the screws can go in easily.

Sorry to have missed this previously, but if you have any other questions about getting your new liner in, just ask and I'll answer :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.