Stained Skimmer Basket - Vitamin C test positive

Jun 13, 2013
I have read the other posts about stains and metals, but wanted the groups opinion on what I should do next *if anything*. Basically the water in my pool is clear, no stains on the liner. I have a SWG and cartridge filter system and the pool is only 2 yrs old.

I noticed the skimmer baskets were discolored (brown) and the filter turned brown over the winter. I thought that once the pool temp came up and chlorine levels came up the color would go away. That has not been the case. I read the Vitamin C test posts and tried that on the basket. The brown instantly was removed with the Vitamin C tablet.

There are no stains in the pool liner, but I want to make sure none ever occur...should I do anything at this point?

You could have the pool water tested for metals, but don't worry if none show up.
Does your fill water have metals in it?
Have you used algaecide or chlorine tabs that have copper in them?

All in all, I'd probably just use the vitamin C and clean the basket well and not worry about it.

Thanks for the advice. Water tested and everything is good, no metals. They asked me why I wanted to test for metals and told them about the staining. They mentioned that SWG would cause that staining and tried to sell me some stain remover. Glad I didn't purchase it -- the Vitamin C worked like a champ. I will post some before and after pictures later today of the baskets. The filter cleaned up too.

That looks like iron staining and would explain why the ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) worked so well, but I don't understand what that has to do with the SWG unless they are claiming that it will cause greater metal corrosion due to the higher salt level. That would mean that you've got something rusting in your pool and that you should try and find out what it is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.