Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cal Flame Grill

1. Back To Top    #1

Cal Flame Grill

I have the opportunity to buy a Cal Flame grill that is a two burner. It's smaller than i would like for my outdoor kitchen i'm building. The person i'm buying from never used it, it's brand new. They bought it and never built the kitchen and now are moving. It's discontued and they will sell to me for $450. Is that i good deal? i can't find anything on them since its discontinued, i see a lot of 3 burner units but what you do you all think of this one. Good deal?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cal Flame Grill

Welcome to TFP

Based on the pricing of other Cal Flame grills I have seen (although most of them have 3 or more burners), I'd say that's a good deal, discounting for the fact that the one you are considering has two burners.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Just sounds OK to me. My three burner Napoleon grill with rotisserie burner cost about the same. If you would rather have 3 burners then I would keep looking.

Riles
    16x32 IG vinyl, 19,000 gal, 1.0 hp pump, sand filter, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, diving board, slide

4. Back To Top    #4

Riles, mind if i ask where you got your Napoleon from? I don't want to go down to a 2 burner, i have a 4 burner now but she is on her last leg. Any leads on a 3 or 4 burner are more than welcome!

5. Back To Top    #5

I can't recall. I picked it up online a few years ago. Looks like prices are a bit higher today then when I was shopping. The Napoleon Mirage looks to be going for $800. It's a great grill though.
    16x32 IG vinyl, 19,000 gal, 1.0 hp pump, sand filter, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, diving board, slide

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree, a two-burner is a bit small, but $450 is a very good price for the quality of Cal Flame. I have the 5 burner (about 5 years now). It's heavy guage SS construction with huge cast-brass burners. With natural gas it quickly hits 675F, using LP should exceed that. Home Depot carries a searing burner option for these grills; cheap and works great for steaks. I would weigh your options against the ODK you're planning; how much room do you have? If you have plenty of space (under patio, slab etc..), I would opt for a larger drop-in (plan to spend about $1000 for similar quality). If space is tight, go with the smaller one and save some $. Don't forget to plan for a sink. I'd recommend a full size with disposer ~ One of the best last minute changes I made.
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I have plenty of room so i am still on the hunt for a 4 burner and no less than three. I passed on the 2 burner cal flame. I have the frame built every part of it except for where the grill and side burner will go. So i play the waiting game. I'll keep looking.