Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Glass in Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Glass in Pool

Hi,

Purchased a new umbrella for our patio table this year. Today was a moderately windy day and which blew the table over. The glass shattered and the entire glass tabletop is now in the pool. I was thinking of vacuuming the glass, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem or do you have any ideas.

Note: My liner is vinyl so I know I have to be careful when vacuuming.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Figure 8 20'-6" X 35' Inground Pool - Shallow End 3'-6", Deep End 8" - 23,000 gallon pool - Hayward DE 7220 Vertical Grid DE filter - Hayward Mineral Sanitizing System - Hayward
    my-pool-t62997.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Glass in Pool

Put a skimmer sock on the skimmer basket to make for easy disposal. Let us know how it goes.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry to hear that. And, no need to say, but no glass around a pool, period.

Someone will read your post and go outside and move their glass tables to another location.
    So you have helped someone else.

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

I'd try using the brush to push it in a pile, dive down and grab the big chunks with gloved hands, then try vacuuming the small stuff. If it won't lift, try silly putty to capture it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Welcome!

I'd try using the brush to push it in a pile, dive down and grab the big chunks with gloved hands, then try vacuuming the small stuff. If it won't lift, try silly putty to capture it.

Good advice. I think maybe if it's not too deep (that is shallow end, right?), you could get in there with sneakers on and use just the vac hose in your hand to get larger pieces than go through the vac head and with less chance of hurting the liner. Mask and snorkel may help. Keep the hose at an angle or it will suck on the liner.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

6. Back To Top    #6

If its the shallow end and you have a shop vac, then just use that really slowly and suck it up. Put hand on the end and let it off as you suck up the glass. I would try that first before vacuuming to the skimmer. Then do the skimmer vacuum with the sock on it like mentioned earlier. Good Luck.
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/reindeerboy/

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I removed the table and umbrella from the pool last night after work and saw the extent of the damage. I decided to have a diver come and clean the pool. The liner and filter are brand new and I have 4 children who are looking to swim this weekend. Things have been crazy at work and I will not be able to clean the pool until Sunday. I consider this my father's day gift.

I have learned my lesson. NO GLASS around the pool and I will be sure to follow this when purchasing a new table.
    Figure 8 20'-6" X 35' Inground Pool - Shallow End 3'-6", Deep End 8" - 23,000 gallon pool - Hayward DE 7220 Vertical Grid DE filter - Hayward Mineral Sanitizing System - Hayward
    my-pool-t62997.html

8. Back To Top    #8

Curious, what is the umbrella’s span and what is the weight of the stand?

I followed the advice on the site I bought umbrella’s from last summer, I used 110 lb. stands for my 3 umbrella’s.

http://www.patioshoppers.com/pages/Umbr ... izing.html

I’m only bringing it up because you wouldn’t want it to happen again ?

This is a problem for the insert I’ve seen too, no way to secure your umbrella to them.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

9. Back To Top    #9

The umbrella was 10'. The base was about 40 lbs which in hindsight not nearly enough weight. It was a Smith & Hawken umbrella/stand I bought at Target.
    my-pool-t62997.html

10. Back To Top    #10

Just to help others reading this, I'll post my solution.

Exact same thing happened to me in my 18x36 Vinyl Pool. After many attempts at using the vacuum only to find the glass filling up my vac hose and not making it into the skimmer, as well as being worried about missing some, I discovered a much easier method.

Glass sinks, even little shards, so as I moved around in the water I could see the glass flowing across the bottom in waves. I decided to attach a nozzle to my garden hose and take it into the pool, shooting the water across the bottom of the pool I started at one corner of our shallow end(right where the slope drops off) and worked my way back and forth, corraling all the glass and even other debris into the front corner of the pool. it worked beautifully. I could see the glass moving and knew if it was moving the bigger pieces, then the little shards were getting moved as well.

One tip, buy a Mask, not goggles.. big difference. Mine was a cheap $7 mask from wal-mart but it worked enough to do the job. Then, once the glass is in a pile in the corner, I brought out the shop vac and sucked it up out of the pool. Get the vac hose in place in the water, above the pile, then turn on the vac. Lift the hose up from the water and point it upward before turning the vac off.

BTW, my shop-vac of choice is the RIDGID 16 Gal Blower Vac at Home depot($119). I watched a pool cleaner suck a foot of black gunk water from the bottom of our pool when we first bought the house, with this vacuum, and I said that is the one I need. It got good reviews too.. just make sure you buy the optional WET sponge filter(about $16).

I did this process twice to make sure I got it all, then I used the same method down the slope, pushing everything into a corner in the deep end, only I used my fingers and pool vac to pick up this pile, since there wasn't as much and the shop-vac couldn't reach the bottom. Then I used the brush and swept the entire pool toward the main drain, just to make sure there weren't any tiny shards in the shallow end that I somehow missed. If so, my regular vacuuming will get everything over time.

-Robert
    Charlotte, NC

11. Back To Top    #11

Welcome to TFP, eye4one!!!

That sounds like a pretty good tip ... hope no one else actually needs the info, of course
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!