Here are my numbers:
    FC 11
    CC 0
    PH 7.4
    TA 120
    CH300
    CYA 80
    temp 85

Pool looks awesome! Except a few patches of algae that I spotted a few days ago. Looking at the pool school I need to lower the PH a little bit than increase the FC based on the CYA being 80, correct? Run the pump 24/7 What should I have the intellichlor set to while running 24/7? Can the chlorine get too high? I have the IC40 on 20K gunite.

Thanks a lot!!
    20,000 gunite pool, The Pool Cleaner, IC40, Intelliflo VS, Cartridge 520 Filter, Easy Touch 4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time tester!!

Quote Originally Posted by AZnewbie
    Could you please help me out as well?

Here are my numbers:
    FC 11
    CC 0
    PH 7.4
    TA 120
    CH300
    CYA 80
    temp 85

Pool looks awesome! Except a few patches of algae that I spotted a few days ago. Looking at the pool school I need to lower the PH a little bit than increase the FC based on the CYA being 80, correct? Run the pump 24/7 What should I have the intellichlor set to while running 24/7? Can the chlorine get too high? I have the IC40 on 20K gunite.

Thanks a lot!!
    pH is okay where it is. Add chlorine bleach to get it to 21. Brush, brush, brush that algae. I'd leave the SWG where it is so it keeps the FC level up some. Recheck every couple hours and add more bleach as needed until that algae is all gone. Brush some more. It might take a couple days. Then you can shut the SWG off and run the overnight loss test.
    [center:1uqjsdk8][youtube:1uqjsdk8]uijLXS-IJZM[/youtube:1uqjsdk8][/center:1uqjsdk8]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: AZpoolnewbie

Welcome to the forum.
    Except a few patches of algae that I spotted a few days ago
    despite decent numbers, visible algae means you need to shock the pool. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Then, read "How to Shock Your Pool".

Those will surely generate some questions on your part and we'll help get your started.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: AZnewbie

Thanks a lot for the help!

So, I have brushed, brushed and brushed, added 6 gallons of chlorine (had it at the house) and will test the water in another hour or so. If the FC isn't up, I'll have to get the bleach. I actually brushed the algae off the pool yesterday and none was visibly present about an hour ago when I was out there.

Is it fair to say I caught this early and with the numbers good and water looking good; we should be swimming again in a couple days?
    20,000 gunite pool, The Pool Cleaner, IC40, Intelliflo VS, Cartridge 520 Filter, Easy Touch 4

5. Back To Top    #5

Follow the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS until you pass the 3 criteria to stop ... if you caught it early, then it should only take a few days.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay, just tested again and the FC is way up, 24.5 and the CC is actually 2. I just got the K-2006 today and think I may have made a mistake the first time.

Ill measure again tonight after the sun goes down and I'm done adding any chemicals. Should I wait to do the overnight test until the CC is at .5 or less or should I do it tonight and see if we have a drop in the FC?

7. Back To Top    #7

If the CC is still high there is not much point to doing the OCLT ... unless you are going to be up before the sun anyway.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

What he said^^
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks. I'll try it tonight. I'll be up with twin 8 month olds and a two year old. Thanks for the help!

10. Back To Top    #10

Whoa! Maybe I over did it. The sun is down now. I tested the water and got a FC reading of 29 and a CC of .5. Pump is running and completely turned the generator off; no other form of chlorine in the pool. Hopefully it passes the test tonight!!

11. Back To Top    #11

Good morning. This morning the water seems to be really good, FC 28.5 and CC 0. So, is there a procedure in how to safely bring the FC back down?

12. Back To Top    #12

Good morning. This morning the water seems to be really good, FC 28.5 and CC 0. So, is there a procedure in how to safely bring the FC back down?
    Just wait. It will drop all by itself when the sun hits it. If that 80 CYA reading is correct, you're below shock level, so it's safe to get in.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks Richard. What should be my target FC level? I'll test the CYA again to make certain.

To keep this from happening again, could the culprit be my wok pots? I turned them in after 10 days of having them off and they were real ugly looking. By the time I saw the water coming out it was too late for the actuator to close fast enough to turn them off. Maybe a couple tabs of chlorine in the pots will do? Or maybe schedule the pots to come on for a couple minutes everyday. I'd hate to burn up the actuators using them everyday when chlorine tabs are much cheaper. Your thoughts?

14. Back To Top    #14

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ya_chart_shock says minimum FC is 6. You'll need to see how much you lose every day to figure out your target so it never dips below 6 between additions.

I have no idea what a wok pot is. I'm assuming it's some kind of water feature, and yes, you should have everything circulate at least a little.

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks Richard. What should be my target FC level? I'll test the CYA again to make certain.
    This chart in pool school should help: pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

To keep this from happening again, could the culprit be my wok pots?
    I'm very confused... What does this mean?

You mentioned solid chlorine pucks in your post after this. Using then will raise the CYA levels... And generally only dilution well then lower your levels.

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

16. Back To Top    #16

I was thinking of putting a puck in each pot to keep the water from going green from not using them for a while and then the green water mixing with the main body as soon as they're turned on. Shouldn't be a problem now as we're in the pool everyday and turn them on while out there. I think I'll just schedule the feature to turn on daily.