My Outdoor Kitchen Build - Mn

May 28, 2013
St. Charles, MN
We as a family spend a lot of time outdoors. Every time I have seen a larger grill/built in. I always go check them out. So after about five years of looking and with my basement finish now complete. It's time to take on a new project. As the talk of the ODK started, the project has evolved. So I will need to expand the patio size on all sides to accommodate the L-Shaped design and now fire pit. I also need to re-level some pavers before the grill goes in for good.

I kept reading about cart grills, wanting to use the current one I got last year. After all of the reading about grills and build-in I went craigs-listing. (Is that a word?) I found a couple of built in grills. I saw a DCS and Jenn-Air. I dug some more. I found another DCS 30-inch for dirt cheap. So, now it's time to jump in full tilt.

Our plan calls for; grill, fridge, and two doors. I am going to add a couple outlets and some low voltage lighting. With a bar height on the opposite of the grill, the grill right off the front of the steps. I live in the upper midwest. I grill all year long. Snow/Cold does not stop me from grilling.

We have not really made any choices on counter tops or sides yet. Open to any suggestions that you might have. I debated going to NG, but I think I might stick to LP.

I just got started on Tuesday night (6/11)

[attachment=0:3ur44mix]withgrill.jpg[/attachment:3ur44mix]

[attachment=1:3ur44mix]Grill-ground.jpg[/attachment:3ur44mix]

[attachment=2:3ur44mix]grill-frame.jpg[/attachment:3ur44mix]

Attachments

• grill-frame.jpg
    grill-frame.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 782
  • Grill-ground.jpg
    Grill-ground.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 782
  • withgrill.jpg
    withgrill.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 781
Hard to get a good overall view with the pics, but looks like you are off to a great start. Is the 'L' shown in the second pic the actual location? Looks a little tight with the stairs that are coming down, but I think you mentioned a bar on back side which might prevent you from scooting it away a little more. Make sure you have enough room behind the grill to open the hood. Looks like you are good there though. Post any specific questions if you have them. Good luck.

Riles

Hey Riles,

The L is not quite in location, but it is within a few inches. It is tight, but my backyard is not real big to begin with. For the pavers I am adding three rows to the bar side, and one more row to the grill side.

I am sure some questions will come up. I have gone back a few years to get the knowledge that others have passed on.

Cory

The island will have a bar overhang on this side, over the dirt. I am not quite sure how wide to make it. I was thinking 12 or 14 inches.

Anyone have some suggestions?

I need to finish the patio expansion, it is really slowing my ODK progress.

[attachment=0:28hq0r8x]20130618-1372.jpg[/attachment:28hq0r8x]

Attachments

• 20130618-1372.jpg
    20130618-1372.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 677
I could visualize a colored, (terra cotta?) sealed, concrete countertop, provided you use weather-proof materials. Another more funky option would be to do a mosaic tile counter, the crazy-quilt type where you break some colored tile and arrange haphazard. My personal preference for outdoor stuff is a mottled surface to hide the inevitable dust/spots/etc that comes with Mother Nature. I'll admit the downside to both these options is glass breakage on hard surfaces. We have a no-glass rule poolside and use a lot of acrylic/plastic, so that's something to consider.

I've seen vinyl siding melted by the heat of a bbq and also the more you cook outdoors, the more airborne oils will adhere to your soffits/fascia so maybe consider the venting of your bbq/grill to keep it (push it?) well away from the house.

Nifty project!

chuckie_mn said:
The island will have a bar overhang on this side, over the dirt. I am not quite sure how wide to make it. I was thinking 12 or 14 inches. Anyone have some suggestions?

My bar tops are 18" wide with a 2" overhang on the inside. If it's too narrow you will bump your knees on the 'wall' under the bar. Clamp a piece of plywood or something on there as a test and check your leg room.

Something else to consider is covering the bottom of the 'L' with cement board, and also add some feet to get it off the ground a bit. Trex (synthetic decking) is a popular choice for the feet.

applgrl said:
I could visualize a colored, (terra cotta?)
applgrl, I think we are in the same page. Terra Cotta color is what we where thinking also.

sammm said:
Clamp a piece of plywood or something on there as a test and check your leg room.

Something else to consider is covering the bottom of the 'L' with cement board, and also add some feet to get it off the ground a bit. Trex (synthetic decking) is a popular choice for the feet.
Samm, Perfect idea! I will do that so I wont have any worries about the bar length. The return "L" was just sitting there for visual. I can't quite place it permanently yet, I need the room to level the pavers. If you can see next to the propane tank the Trex feet are stacked up.

Riles_J said:
The framing of my bar top had 12 inches of legroom. Then my counter has a 2 inch overhang. I find it has plenty of room underneath. Riles
Thanks for the info Riles!

That's a tight fit! I agree with Riles, it's too close to your stairs/door. I'd extend your pavers out more (even if you have to narrow/reduce width of fence landscaping). For the countertop, I prefer granite. But, I live in a warm weather area and my ODK is under a patio; not sure how granite will hold-up with freeze thaw conditions (i'm guessing tile will be totally out of the question for same reason). Also, in extreme cold (you said you're not phased by that), I wonder how the heat from the grill will affect a stone counter-top. I also like the idea of concrete counter-tops, but there is a DIY learning curve there. I'd go at least 14" for bar width and use metal L supports for the overhang. It looks like you're off to a great start, keep us posted :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks good. Coming along nicely.

What are your heights on your counter and bar? Just curious. Typical bar height is 42" I think and counter is 36". I assume your frigerator is going on the wall with bar? What are you doing for couters?

Riles

I cut 35 inch studs for the grill height. With the backer and trex feet, I am not sure what the actual height comes out. I cut 38 inch studs for the bar. The refrigerator is going in the middle of the bar. I need to get power working. While I was grilling yesterday, having to keep running inside to get something from the refrigerator was frustrating.

Going to explore counter top options at lunch today.

I thought the bar looked a little on the low side. I probably would have gone up a couple more inches. Bar stools are made for 42" counters, though it is just a function of how comfortable you feel at that height with the stools/chairs you are using. You might want to sit around it with the chairs you will be using and see how it feels before you get too far. Just a thought.

Added: If you do decide to raise it wouldn't be too difficult to palce a stud on top of what you have. Just place them long side down and that would gain you 1-1/2 inches.

Riles

With the weather / rain finally breaking a little bit. I was able to take off a few days last week and get back on track. My wife picked out a brown tile for the top. It's a high traffic, outdoor tile. I am planning on doing some stucco on the bottom, probably a tint close to the color of the siding.

Riles - We tested the height of the counter top. I have two younger kids that will be using it, I wanted them to be comfortable as well. We have an L in our kitchen with a bar overhang which is lower than the outside bar overhang.

[attachment=0:2o5u8vru]dbvf-QYs1PcycegAvNxV2RbILccnah8F-wrwgoDyPXc.jpeg[/attachment:2o5u8vru]

Attachments

• dbvf-QYs1PcycegAvNxV2RbILccnah8F-wrwgoDyPXc.jpeg
    dbvf-QYs1PcycegAvNxV2RbILccnah8F-wrwgoDyPXc.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 457
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.