To Cut or Not To Cut the Solar Cover....That is the question

Jun 13, 2013
Hi All,

New to TFP but your input would be appreciated. I have a new 20x40 Oasis shape pool. We live in northern Ohio so my season is rather short. The wife was not a fan of solar covers (the reel sitting around, the cover sitting on the deck...etc). However, I did purchase one to help extend the season without monster gas bills heating the air. I have it trimmed arounded the edge (purchased 24x44 cover 12mil crystal clear), but need some input on whether or not to cut it in to two pieces. The current size takes two adults to man handle and the wife is dead set against a reel. If I had two pieces (roughly 20x20), it would be alot easier to handle. Thoughts? :cheers:

Re: To Cut or Not To Cut the Solar Cover....That is the ques

For our family friends up north, they keep it in 1 piece and do use 2 people to pull it out off the reel, but 1 person can crank it back up. Somehow the end of the cover is affixed to the reel and the cover is always attached, meaning it must be about 8 feet or more longer than the pool.

Sometimes practicality wins out over asthetics, but arguing with a spouse usually doesn't fly, unless you are both good compromisers. :)

I haven't decided yet on cutting it, but WOW, quite the difference having it. We have had a couple of nights get pretty cold (one down in the high 40's). I had the pool temp just in the low 80's and the 12mm crystal clear did its' job. I lost 2-3 degrees that night and the next day I fire the heater for an hour or two and its right back up! Previously I would have lost 10-12 degrees and spent the next day bringing it back up. As hoped, this is bringing the wife around. (Oh bye the way, having the gas company place a personal call to her asking if they could come out and check our appliances and piping for leaks also helped bring her around :shock: )

Cutting the cover into sections works very well for some people. There is no significant loss of effectiveness when cut into sections, unless the sections start blowing off (which is rare but can be an issue in especially windy areas).

Here is a good page explaining how one person cut their cover up into pieces.
http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/Solarcover/

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.