Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To Cut or Not To Cut the Solar Cover....That is the question

1. Back To Top    #1

To Cut or Not To Cut the Solar Cover....That is the question

Hi All,

New to TFP but your input would be appreciated. I have a new 20x40 Oasis shape pool. We live in northern Ohio so my season is rather short. The wife was not a fan of solar covers (the reel sitting around, the cover sitting on the deck...etc). However, I did purchase one to help extend the season without monster gas bills heating the air. I have it trimmed arounded the edge (purchased 24x44 cover 12mil crystal clear), but need some input on whether or not to cut it in to two pieces. The current size takes two adults to man handle and the wife is dead set against a reel. If I had two pieces (roughly 20x20), it would be alot easier to handle. Thoughts?
    28K gal, outdoor IG plaster, 1/2 HP pump, 26" sand filter, bromine for 10+ years, switching to BBB now, 20'x40', 3' to 9' deep

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: To Cut or Not To Cut the Solar Cover....That is the ques

A lot of folks cut the solar cover to make it easier to handle. I don't think there would be any problems with it.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

For our family friends up north, they keep it in 1 piece and do use 2 people to pull it out off the reel, but 1 person can crank it back up. Somehow the end of the cover is affixed to the reel and the cover is always attached, meaning it must be about 8 feet or more longer than the pool.

Sometimes practicality wins out over asthetics, but arguing with a spouse usually doesn't fly, unless you are both good compromisers.
    John (DIYer). Concrete, approximately 13,000 gallon in-ground pool with adjoining concrete spa. Approximately 40 years old. Hayward Super II pump for pool and legacy Anthony Sta-Rite bronze pump CF6 for spa, VA-26 filter,(2 sets), Rheem propane heater for spa. HASA Liquidator for pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

I haven't decided yet on cutting it, but WOW, quite the difference having it. We have had a couple of nights get pretty cold (one down in the high 40's). I had the pool temp just in the low 80's and the 12mm crystal clear did its' job. I lost 2-3 degrees that night and the next day I fire the heater for an hour or two and its right back up! Previously I would have lost 10-12 degrees and spent the next day bringing it back up. As hoped, this is bringing the wife around. (Oh bye the way, having the gas company place a personal call to her asking if they could come out and check our appliances and piping for leaks also helped bring her around )
    28K gal, outdoor IG plaster, 1/2 HP pump, 26" sand filter, bromine for 10+ years, switching to BBB now, 20'x40', 3' to 9' deep

5. Back To Top    #5

Cutting the cover into sections works very well for some people. There is no significant loss of effectiveness when cut into sections, unless the sections start blowing off (which is rare but can be an issue in especially windy areas).

Here is a good page explaining how one person cut their cover up into pieces.
    http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/Solarcover/
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I cut mine in 1/2, makes it easier to take on/off.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

7. Back To Top    #7

I cut mine in half but I also added some ABS pipe so it was easier to roll up.

diy-solar-cover-roller-t59799.html
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater