Info Overload

Jun 12, 2013
Orlando, FL
New pool owner with an old pool.

We've been through the stress of measuring/ordering/installing a new vinyl liner*, getting the pump up and running (plumbed it backwards the first time - "in" the return and "out" the skimmer!), now we're having fun with all this chemistry. Still not sure I'm reading my test kit correctly, either.

Between neighbors, websites, pool stores and this incredible forum, it's becoming information overload and I have no idea where to start.

Is there a "flow chart" or procedure I could follow? I'm sure I can find the answers to individual questions, just feeling lost in the procedure.

What's first? Go ahead and shock the pool or focus on pH?
Then what...chlorine?
...and then...?

Thanks,

Nic

*Sometime, ask me about the snake that got under the liner.

Most of what you need to know is covered in the pool school link in the upper right of every page here. My best advice is to read it let it soak in then read it again. If you have to do something first adjust your pH, then add chlorine, but until yo understand things use only liquid chlorine / bleach as it does not add the potentially unwanted things that dry chlorine compounds add.

Ike

Is the pool now full and the equipment running? How does the water look?

Step 1: Post up a full set of test results. Which test kit do you have?

There is no flowchart and the path forward depends on the test results.

Thanks Isaac-1 and jblizzle.

Yes, I'm reading Pool School - again, that's part of my "info overload". Bits and pieces are starting to sink in, slowly. It really is an amazing resource!

The pool is full, the equipment is running - got the pump running last night, added one bag of shock and it's been running all night. It looks mostly clear, but the first few days, we didn't have the pump running, so I think algae got a slight foothold.

The "kit" I have is the Aqua Check Test Strips.

I just took a reading. Here are the results (I think):

pH 8.4 (This one is so far off the charts, I'm not sure what it truly is.)
chlorine 0.5
CC 0
TA 180 (not sure about the reading on this one - subject to "color interpretation")
Calcium hardness 100
CYA 40

The app I'm using, recommends "2 fl oz of liquid chlorine or 134,217,727 lbs and 15 oz of powdered chlorine". For some reason, whether it's 2 oz or 134 million pounds, I don't think either one is correct. :shock:

Thanks,

Nic

OK a revised plan:

Step 1: Order one of the Recommended Test Kits because test strips are worthless.

Nplsdvr said:
The app I'm using, recommends "2 fl oz of liquid chlorine or 134,217,727 lbs and 15 oz of powdered chlorine". For some reason, whether it's 2 oz or 134 million pounds, I don't think either one is correct. :shock:
I almost spit Coke everywhere ... see you understand something ;)

If you want to believe those numbers (I would not). Then you need to lower the pH into the 7s and then maintain the FC > 3ppm for your CYA level of 40ppm. Everything else takes a backseat.

Between neighbors, websites, pool stores and this incredible forum, it's becoming information overload and I have no idea where to start.
Start the flow chart by getting rid of the neighbors, websites and pool stores. trying to blend all that advice would confuse Albert Einstein and it will end up with you right in the middle of advice from all sides.

Either stay with this forum or a pool store or a neighbor but do not try to blend....it never works.

If you stay with us, you'll have to ditch the strips and get a good drops based kit so your testing is believable. Strips, pool stores (and probably neighbors) are seldom valid and it's almost impossible to suggest what to do to your water when we don't have confidence in your test results.

We can get your pool crystal clear for the rest of the swimming season....we hope you stay with us.

There appears to be a pretty large range on that app, huh? :mrgreen:

Have you found poolcalculator.com?

1st-order GOOD test kit.

2nd-do NOT listen to pool store

3rd-post pics for all to see

4th-dive in and enjoy a cool one when you post your first set of numbers and we all clap at how much you have learned.

Kim

Ok, a couple of things:

If this is a fresh fill and you have only added a pound of "shock" (this might be dichlor, trichlor, cal-hypo, or less likely lithium hypo, we need to know which one) there is no way your CYA level is 40, at least not unless your pool is a big kiddie pool, you meant 150 gallons not 15K gallons and you used dichlor or trichlor shock.

I 2nd kimkats. Run fast and run far from the pool store! Snatch up a good test kit & you will be the Master of your pool.

TFP is the best, easyist & most inexpensive way to have crystal clear water. Not sure what to do with those numbers from the test kit? Post your results and they will walk you through it.

Keep on reading Pool School. It will all come together and make perfect common sense compared to what the pool store will tell you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1. GOOD test kit ordered.
2. Haven't been to the pool store in weeks.
3. Here are the pics:

[attachment=1:3k0roqxd]20130613_170103.jpg[/attachment:3k0roqxd]

[attachment=0:3k0roqxd]20130613_170118.jpg[/attachment:3k0roqxd]

4. Definitely learning! Can't wait for it all to make sense.

Thank you all so much! I'm still feeling confused, but a little more grounded.

Attachments

• 20130613_170103.jpg
    20130613_170103.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 20130613_170118.jpg
    20130613_170118.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 120
Nplsdvr said:
Between neighbors, websites, pool stores and this incredible forum, it's becoming information overload and I have no idea where to start..
Like it says in the Bible: You will know them by their fruits.

Go look at the neighbor's pool. Take a whiff. Ask to see his test kit. Then decide if he's someone you'd care to emulate.

The pool store is the ravenous wolf. But you knew that. :wink:

Isaac-1 said:
Ok, a couple of things:

If this is a fresh fill and you have only added a pound of "shock" (this might be dichlor, trichlor, cal-hypo, or less likely lithium hypo, we need to know which one) there is no way your CYA level is 40, at least not unless your pool is a big kiddie pool, you meant 150 gallons not 15K gallons and you used dichlor or trichlor shock.

Yes, a fresh fill - well water since it's free. We did add a "metal free" http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Chemicals/Stain-Removers/14834.html We are definitely getting a "reading" for the CYA on the test strips...how accurate? Your guess is as good as mine.

For a couple days, while the pump wasn't working, we added liquid chlorine.

Last night, with the pump finally on, we added "Super Zappit" Calcium Hypochlorite http://www.spa-daddy.com/Super-Zappit-Pool-Shock---Cal-Shock-73-75818-sd.html It actually registered chlorine for the first time ever this morning, now, a few hours later, it's all back to 0. I can tell this is going to be a fun ride already.

This morning my wife noticed a "staining" on the fiberglass steps. I was able to rub it off with my fingers. If that's mustard algae, I'm gonna be one unhappy camper.

The test kit is ordered and on the way...in the meantime: what do I need to do to keep a lid on this? Just dump in a few gallons of chlorine/bleach each day? Can we swim in it? How long should we run the pump and clean the filter?

Thanks!

Nic

Richard320 said:
Nplsdvr said:
Between neighbors, websites, pool stores and this incredible forum, it's becoming information overload and I have no idea where to start..

Go look at the neighbor's pool. Take a whiff. Ask to see his test kit. Then decide if he's someone you'd care to emulate.

Aaaaaaamen, Richard320.

What am I "whiffing" for? Should I smell chlorine or not smell chlorine? If memory serves, he's admitted to not using a test kit, but his wife is the one who takes care of the pool.

Thanks,

Nic

It does not sound like you added any CYA ... so it should be 0ppm ... see why we say what we say about test strips? ;)

So get 30ppm of the CYA dissolving in a sock in front of a return jet.
Keep the adding bleach to maintain 2+ppm of FC.

Read this:
pool-school/pump_run_time

Clean the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

Nplsdvr said:
Richard320 said:
Nplsdvr said:

Aaaaaaamen, Richard320.

What am I "whiffing" for? Should I smell chlorine or not smell chlorine? If memory serves, he's admitted to not using a test kit, but his wife is the one who takes care of the pool.

Thanks,

Nic
You shouldn't smell anything. That chlorine smell you associate with public pools, spas, waterslides, etc is not high chlorine levels. It's chloramines. If it's an outdoor pool, it means not enough chlorine. I won't overload you with tech talk about indoor pools.

CYA is a pool specific additive and does not exist in well water or municipal water supplies, it only gets into pools by adding CYA stabilizer in liquid or powder form, or through build up from using dichlor or trichlor based dry chlorine products (pucks, powder, tablets, etc.). In a 15,000 gallon pool 1 pound of Dichlor would add about 4ppm of CYA and 4.4 ppm of FC

Short Answer: Until you get your test kit, add bleach each day.

Based on my guessitmate (poolcalculator.com) and experiences, it's about 112 oz of 10% bleach (liquid chlorinator from Wal-mart) each day it's hot and sunny. This may be a little overkill but until you get CYA dissolved and your test kit, it's a good start. If you have a simple 6 way test kit testing block with the yellow CL test, shoot to keep your CL in the 2-6 PPM range.

Got the stabilizer, putting in the sock right now!
Picked up a few gallons of chlorine - don't know what the concentration is, I'm going to try to find something online.
Also have a couple gallons of muriatic acid.

The question is: what would be the procedure for adding all of this? I know I just can't dump it in and stir.
I'll put the stabilizer in a sock and hang it by the return jet...let it run....? Overnight? 24 hrs? Until gone?

When can I start adding chlorine and muriatic acid? At the same time? 4 hours apart? I'd rather not asphyxiate the entire county.

Or just point me to a link and I'll check it out.

Thanks again,

Nic

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.