Info Overload

Add some acid to lower pH. Pool calculator isn't good for huge changes, so try it in two or three doses. It might take more than you think, if pH is off the scale. While that is mixing, mess around tying up the CYA. When pH is good, add bleach. Try to keep additions at least a half an hour apart, except the CYA. It takes days to dissolve 100%.

Pour liquid chemicals slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running.

Never add two things at the exact same moment. Leave at least 30 seconds between additions. There are some special cases where longer waits are required, but they don't come up very often.

Run the pump for 24 hours after hanging a sock with CYA. Remove the sock when it is empty, might be hours, might be days. Don't test the CYA level for a week, but you can assume it is all added after 24 hours.

cya hung in sock, squeeze occasionally until gone, takes up to a week from being dissolved to show on tests

liquids very slowly pour in front of return jets, be aware acid is much heavier than water so is important to pour very slow were it gets well blended in front of jet.

Poolcalculator.com will tell you how much to add.

Pool School will tell you where and how to add chemicals (don't dump all at once into the pool)

I would guess you would be safe with two gallons of bleach (whatever you have) with pump running. Pour it slowly in front the water that is returning to the pool.

I add 5 cups of bleach every day on average. Cloudy days (not many of those if FL) I do not need quite that much.

IF you are seeing something "bad" green go ahead and add more every day. That way hopefully it will not get worse. Brush the side and bottom to stir up everything so the bleach can get to it good.

You can swim RIGHT NOW!

CYA-I put mine in a sock and walked around with it in my hands trying to get it all in the pool fast. My hands got quite a work out! I wanted it in NOW so.......

I get my bleach at our local ACE hardware shop. They allow me to use my own bleach containers which is nice as I can lift and pour them without too much trouble. I have a pool box I keep them in by the pool. It is in the shade as it is under my steps.

Have fun!

Kim

Sit Rep:

Got the CYA in last night. The sock emptied faster than I expected, but you say it's "not fully dissolved for up to a week." So, if I add a gallon of bleach a day, that's just for maintenance purposes until I get a true water test next week, right? Should I even mess with pH at this point?

I failed to mention, we do have another test kit - basic 4 test from Pinch-a-Penny (no brand name on it) that my wife got in a package deal from a Craigslist find...who knows how old the droppers are, so I'm just "practicing" with it. I don't trust those results either.

Thanks!

Nic

P.S.: ...and I've found a couple plumbing leaks I have to deal with, too, but that's in another section of the forum, right?
P.P.S.: When we get this thing sorted out, and scream "Victory!", anyone who participated in this thread gets the first cannonball!

Sit Rep 2:

OhMyGosh!! The water is crystal clear!!! I got a much better look at the water just now...we used to have a slightly yellow/green tint as the water got deeper, but this morning that is gone!! It is brilliant!! All we added was CYA - I had no idea it would have that kind of affect on the water!!

Would that be the CYA? Or the shock from the day before?

I am so pumped!!

Thanks!

Nic

Nplsdvr said:
Sit Rep 2:

OhMyGosh!! The water is crystal clear!!! I got a much better look at the water just now...we used to have a slightly yellow/green tint as the water got deeper, but this morning that is gone!! It is brilliant!! All we added was CYA - I had no idea it would have that kind of affect on the water!!

Would that be the CYA? Or the shock from the day before?

I am so pumped!!

Thanks!

Nic
Probably both. The chlorine killed the green. The CYA kept the chlorine alive long enough to do it. Expect it to get even better.

Did to pump shut off for some time?

If the pump was off and the clarity improved, it probably means the stuff sank to the floor. It's a good time to vacuum to waste. Move the vacuum head slowly to not stir up too muck junk.

techguy...that's the next step...hooking up the vacuum. We have one (part of that craigslist find I mentioned earlier) but there's no adapter to fit it to the skimmer. Any suggestions?

No, the pump hasn't been off since 9p last night - it will shut off around 2p today.

I added a gallon of bleach about an hour ago just to keep up with the day. Hopefully, the test kit will get here tomorrow and not drag it out until Monday. <fingers crossed>

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is a cone, but my skimmer has two holes that are offset - the cone gets in the way of the sides. I took off the cone, shoved the hose into the bottom hole, turned on the pump....

We have a vacuum!! :whoot: Sometimes it's the little things in life...

(should I be embarrassed that a grown man is doing the "happy dance" over a pool vacuum that has been staring him in the face for two weeks?)

There are adapter plates that go over the skimmer basket, I have three, none work properly with my Aqua Leader skimmer and basket so I just plug straight into the bottom of the skimmer. It works for me, though I have to clean the basket at the pump after vacuuming large stuff.

Richard320 said:
Add some acid to lower pH. Pool calculator isn't good for huge changes, so try it in two or three doses. It might take more than you think, if pH is off the scale. While that is mixing, mess around tying up the CYA. When pH is good, add bleach. Try to keep additions at least a half an hour apart, except the CYA. It takes days to dissolve 100%.

Richard320 - What qualifies as a "huge change" in pH? +/-.5 or greater? or +/-1.5 or greater? Each dose should adjust pH by .5? .7? 1.0?

Thanks,

Nic

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.