Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pump not holding prime

1. Back To Top    #1

pump not holding prime

Our pump worked fine last year and now its not holding the prime. After several hours it doesnt move water at all. I can get it primed but it doesnt last longer then a few hours. I also have a lot of small bubbles coming into the return line. Pressure stays around 12 and I backwashed already. To keep it filtering I unplug it several times a day to keep water moving Ideas?
    AG Round Bestway EZ set 15' x 42"--3284 Gallons--Jaccuzi Lasor Sand Filter Model 160L, 16" diameter --- Pump Pentair Aquatools PMP 1HP
    P/N: AT2408610

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: pump not holding prime

When you backwash, does that seem to solve most of the problem for an hour or so?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes it does seem to help. I thought maybe I didnt backwash it long enough when I first opened the pool so I have done it 2 times in the last few days. Oh and it spits dusty stuff when I plug asnd unplug it to keep it going.
    AG Round Bestway EZ set 15' x 42"--3284 Gallons--Jaccuzi Lasor Sand Filter Model 160L, 16" diameter --- Pump Pentair Aquatools PMP 1HP

4. Back To Top    #4

What does the water look like?

When you say it does not hold prime, do you mean the pump basket fills up with air or that you just stop feeling water returning to the pool and the pump basket is full of water?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

The water right now is cloudy. I had it clear but now with the pump issues its going south.

The side bucket is full of water and the pump is full as well it just doesnt keep the water flowing. If I dont plug and unplug it regually everything runs just wont keep the water moving out of the side return.

The pool came with the house when we bought it is it possible it needs new sand?

6. Back To Top    #6

Hardly ever is replacing sand required.

If the pump stays full of water, then it is staying primed.

I think your filter is just clogged due to the dirty water. Try a long backwash and then inspecting/cleaning the sand:
    my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html#p60821

Also post up a full set of test results.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

The pool came with the house when we bought it is it possible it needs new sand?
    No, it does not need sand but, guessing just a little bit (not much), you need to shock the pool.

What's happening is all that junk that is making your water cloudy is getting caught in the filter and clogging the filter up.

The first step is for you to get a full set of test results and post those for us to look at. While you are doing that, please read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School then, read "How to Shock Your Pool". Study those articles...they are both essential to getting your pool cleared up.

I am virtually positive it is not your filter but your water chemistry that is out of whack.
    Dave S.

8. Back To Top    #8

how exactly do I expose the sand? Do I take the bolts off by the filter setting arm?

9. Back To Top    #9

Not sure what the filter looks like. Post a picture. Usually you have to remove either the multi-valve on the top or a cap that has a pressure gauge on it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

OK did a long backwash for around 5 mins and a rinse. Alot of brown water came out but only for a min or so then it was clear again. But I have good water movement again. At least for now. gonna go get a pic of the filter. I'll be back to post it

11. Back To Top    #11

Which filter do you have? The DV7 is just the type of valve on the top. What is the filter model/size? Also what pump do you have?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Im assuming its the nuts under that sideways sticker?
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Back To Top    #13

I think you are right based on the pictures I saw online. There should be a gasket/o-ring in there as well.

What is the diameter of that filter (or the circumference or the model number)?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

From the stickers Heres what I found. Im not sure it what you are looking for tho.

lasor sand filter:
    51 Inches around the container
    Model number is 160l-s1lr6-hk6
    Filter area: 1.33 ft squared
    height: 24.5 inch
    tank diameter: 16 inches
    filter: 27 GPM
    Backwash: 20 GPM

Pump: Pentair PMP 1HP
    part number: A-T2408610 and 0-177960-23

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Jademoon,

Do not overlook the fact that you need to shock the pool. It's not the filter, it's your water chemistry.
    Dave S.

16. Back To Top    #16

OK so it is the 160L, 16" diameter {Add that and your pump to your signature}

The reason I was looking for that was to see if your filter was a good size for your pool.

For a 11k gallon pool, we would recommend at least 2.1 sqft of filter area which is a 19.6" diameter filter.

So you are almost 40% smaller than we would recommend, which is a contributing factor to keeping the pool clear ... although the import thing to fix first is the chemistry as Dave just reminded you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Ok I think I got my sig updated correctly and just added more shock. Pump is running good atm thanks for the help

18. Back To Top    #18

What test kit are you using to determine how much FC to add?
    How are you adding your FC?
    Are you following the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS?

{We do not use the S-word as a noun }
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Is this kit ok? Taylor Complete [high] Fast-DPD Water Test Kit for Pools and Spas

I have a 6 way kit atm but it doesnt test FC

20. Back To Top    #20

Was that supposed to say FAS-DPD? If so, and it uses a powder, then that would be an acceptable test kit.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast