Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing Public Pool Water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing Public Pool Water?

Anyone ever try this just to see what it was like? I am wildly curious and may try to do it!
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Testing Public Pool Water?

Tempted, yes. Done it, no. But I did rat out a hotel to the health department in Rhode Island and got it closed down. .

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Houston, Texas

You may never swim in a public pool again if you do! Yes a few have done this. They have also snuck a sample from friends and neighbors!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Long Beach, CA

I've done it. Couple of my kids play polo and I was interested in what they are swimming in. All of the pools that I tested have zero CYA, FC runs around 2 ppm and some of the indoor pools have had 1-2 ppm of CCs. The other parameters are all in our recommended ranges.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

Long time lurker, first time poster. The CDC and some other organizations created for the public to report their tests of public pool water. They will even send you some free tfp-dreaded test strips for your troubles.

6. Back To Top    #6
    S.E. MI

I've never tested a public pool because I refuse to swim in one
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)