Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie shock process help please?

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie shock process help please?

I live in a multigenerational household and we've all been waiting for someone else to figure out how to take care of the pool and letting the pool store tell us what to do. Fail! They sold us tons and tons of chemicals, especially tricolor and algeacides... Wonder why the cya was so high? Hmmmm

Filled with dread of a new season I waited until late to open the pool
    Thankfully I found the pool school

I now have a Leslie's pool test kit

Upon opening the pool the Ph and alkalinity were through the roof high, added muriatic 3 gallons of muriatic acid to get it close to the accepted range (7.4 ph and 180 ta)
    Cya was over sky high and did 2 partial drains because I was too afraid to drain as much as necessary the first time, second time took it down from 120 to 45 after about 40% drain
    (Calcium hardness was over 450 but drains took care of that too)

Current test
    FC .7 (ish)
    TC more than 5, guessing 6 or 7
    CC ? 5.5 ish?
    PH 7.4
    TA 105
    CH 280
    CYA 45

I'm sending the teenager to the store to get more muriatic acid to take ph down to about 7.0
    But then what? I'm having trouble figuring out what shock range is for my pool

Thx
    28,000 gal gunite, triton II sand filter
    Brand new pentair swg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie shock process help please?

Hi, welcome to TFP! I'm not sure how you got a .7 result for FC? The CC is really high if that is an accurate result. Your pH is fine where it is, no need to lower it more. You want to keep pH between 7.2 and 7.8

I'm guessing the Leslie's kit you bought only tests up to 5 ppm of FC, and uses a color match to determine results? If so I would recommend getting the FAS-DPD chlorine test to enable you to test levels higher than 5 ppm. You can use it along with your Leslie's pool kit, then you won't have to guess how high the chlorine is.

How does the water look, is it clear?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

http://www.poolcalculator.com/ will calculate shock level if you go way down to the last yellow line and select gunite, troublefreepool, and bleach options. The blue line above it will give you recommended levels.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes color matching showed it was between .5 and 1 FC so it was a guess

And ok I'll look for those

The water has a greenish tint to it
    I was reading the pool school article on how to shock your swampy pool lol and it said lower the ph to 7.0 or 7.2 before taking the water to shock level and starting the shock process

But I am still confused as to what exactly shock level would be
    Brand new pentair swg

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/ will calculate shock level if you go way down to the last yellow line and select gunite, troublefreepool, and bleach options. The blue line above it will give you recommended levels.
    Ok I found that suggested fc value line finally thank you

I'm not sure what kinds of algae we have.

We used copper algaecide a few times in the last few years because of pool store recommendations for stubborn algae treatment
    Brand new pentair swg

6. Back To Top    #6

The pool calculator will help determine shock level. It has two columns where you enter information. "Now" is the current test results, "Target" is the level you want to achieve. Go to the bottom of the calculator as Richard said and enter the set up information (plaster and gunite are the same thing). You will see the recommended range for each chemical in the little box titled "Goal" just above where you enter the numbers.

Edit: Most likely you have regular algae. Try the normal shock level first.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Just assume it's the regular stuff.

Mustard Algae will linger after the green is gone, and black algae looks like your pool developed skin cancer moles.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Tyvm
    Brand new pentair swg