Severely damaged in-ground pool - need advice badly!!!!!

Aug 4, 2011
Valparaiso, IN
Topics merged. Please don't double post. Bama

Need advice.

We have a 25 gallon in-ground pool that is up to 20 years old. When we took our safety cover off this spring, we found that there was only a few feet of water in the deep end of the pool. We immediately called our pool company to come out and have a look, since obviously we have a major leak. They discovered that because it has a sand bottom and we had a lot of rain this winter, that the bottom was severely washed out. He said that we would most likely need to redo the pool and liner, and maybe the piping.

The company called today and said due to the age of the pool and damage done, they do not even want to bid on the project. Just "thank you for paying us $85 to tell you that you're screwed" and giving me no advice/suggestions etc. Thank you very much!

Here is my dilemma. I am fine with filling it in, but heard that it can be terribly expensive. If I did want it redone, what if I cannot find a company to do the repair/rebuild? What are the ramifications of leaving it as is (with cover attached) while I figure out my options? (I may not be able to afford to do ANYTHING until next spring/summer). The pool guy couldn't even tell me if it was ok to leave it or dangerous...not much help!

I am at a complete loss as to know what to do and as luck would have it, my husband left on tour yesterday and will be gone the entire summer so I have to field this one myself.

Do I regret buying a house with an ingrown pool? YOU BETCHA.

Any thoughts would be very appreciated!
T.

Leak, severely damaged pool - need advice!!!

Need advice.

We have a 25 gallon in-ground pool that is up to 20 years old. When we took our safety cover off this spring, we found that there was only a few feet of water in the deep end of the pool. We immediately called our pool company to come out and have a look, since obviously we have a major leak. They discovered that because it has a sand bottom and we had a lot of rain this winter, that the bottom was severely washed out. He said that we would most likely need to redo the pool and liner, and maybe the piping.

The company called today and said due to the age of the pool and damage done, they do not even want to bid on the project. Just "thank you for paying us $85 to tell you that you're screwed" and giving me no advice/suggestions etc. Thank you very much!

Here is my dilemma. I am fine with filling it in, but heard that it can be terribly expensive. If I did want it redone, what if I cannot find a company to do the repair/rebuild? What are the ramifications of leaving it as is (with cover attached) while I figure out my options? (I may not be able to afford to do ANYTHING until next spring/summer). The pool guy couldn't even tell me if it was ok to leave it or dangerous...not much help!

I am at a complete loss as to know what to do and as luck would have it, my husband left on tour yesterday and will be gone the entire summer so I have to field this one myself.

Do I regret buying a house with an ingrown pool? YOU BETCHA.

Any thoughts would be very appreciated!
T.

To answer the immediate issue. If you have a safety cover and it's in good shape, it should be fine to leave it on until you can get this sorted out.

If you want to explore the options just call around to some of the pool stores and companies and ask for people that may be interested in repairing it. Also contact a couple of general contractors or dirt haulers and ask about the cost of filling it in. I think you're going to find that it about the same cost either way. It may even be more to fill it in.

I have recently had to have my pool repaired, due to the bottom collapsing during a liner install. You can read about my experience at his link..

fixing-last-years-mistake-t59590.html

What you need is an honest pool person that can make some recommendations. Without seeing your pool, it is hard to guess what it needs. I suggest you call back to the company that you have already dealt with, and ask the person that answers the phone (the company secratary) for other pool repair people in your area. I got my lead on a good pool guy by asking the secretary of a big company, I asked her; who else in the area I could call for quality pool repairs. You don't necessarily want a company name, rather you want an individual. The person she hooked me up with could not do my job, but he hooked me up with yet, another, pool guy. In the end, I was able to have my pool fixed, for the same cost of having a new liner installed. I am happy with the results.

Your first hurdle is finding a good person to deal with. They are out there, and many of them are under-employed due to the economy. The way I understand these pool companies, is people come and people go, and they know each other, and the reputations they have developed.

Having done 26 years of active duty myself, I understand your situation. You can handle this, get on the phone and find someone that can help you make some decisions about your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.