variable speed pump comparison

Pigpen

Jan 19, 2013
OK, I tried searching and reading through other posts because I am sure it has been covered but couldnt find it, and I hate to start another thread.

I have a 20k IG pool with spill over spa and waterfall. 1 1/2" plumbing to a pentair fns 60 DE filter. High electric rates here in San Diego, so looking to replace old single speed pump.

lots of good reviews for the IntelliFlo 011018 model 3 hp but requires 2" piping and 10" direct runs in and out. i can get it at a good price, about 850 plus a 200 dollar rebate from power company.

Now I find haywards SP2600VSP 1 1/2hp pump with 1 1/2" requirement in and out for about 650 but no rebate, so basically about the same price.

so long story short, I know I can downsize the piping from 2" to the 1 1/2" and I don't need 3hp, but would the pump last longer by being oversized? Or would I be better off matching the smaller pump to my need, since cost appears to be the same?

Thanks for all your help here.

The IntelliFlo has a long service history (not perfect, but fairly good), while the SP2600VSP is brand new with no track record. The SP2600VSP is a better fit for your pool, but it is a bit of an unknown quantity. The IntelliFlo will work just fine, though you might need to do some minor replumbing on the equipment pad to get it the 1 foot of 2" pipe leading into the pump that it wants.

If you have an automation system there are significant advantages to going with a pump of the same brand as your automation system. Otherwise, it is a question of how risk tolerant you are. Brand new models sometimes have problems in the first seasons production that get ironed out by the second season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.