Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Advice: 2HP Jandy or Variable Speed

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Advice: 2HP Jandy or Variable Speed

I have to decide do I take the standard package with the 2HP Jandy pump or pay an up-charge for the Variable Speed.

Here are some specifics to consider:
    * Free Form Pool, ~33,000 gallons
    * Plumb for future waterfall
    * Plan on adding solar heating in 1-2 years

From what I've heard, a variable speed saves money. However, I may need the 2HP for the waterfall & solar heating.

I would appreciate experience and feedback to help me make the right decision.
    33,000 gallon salt water freeform vinyl liner with concrete walls and waterfall
    Built in 2014
    Jandy PHPM 2.0 pump, Jandy CV460 cartridge filter, Jandy Aqua Pure PLC 1400 SWG
    Using the TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need Advice: 2HP Jandy or Variable Speed

Welcome to TFP!!!

Which VS pump? What is the upcharge? Do you get a rebate? How much is your electricity?
    The answer to these determine if the VS will eventually save you money.

2HP is likely much too big anyways, depending on how big or a water feature your are considering.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The greatly over-simplified rule of thumb is that electric rates of $0.20/kwh or higher justify a variable speed, while below that you should get a dual speed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi JBlizzle,

Cartridge filter cl340
    Pump jandy 2 h.p power flow

The Variable pump upcharge is $750. I believe I'm at $0.09/kwh right now.

I think the waterfall is fine. I'm concerned about the solar heating on the roof because I read somewhere that you need the powerful pump to push the water up. I have a 2 story house.
    Built in 2014

5. Back To Top    #5

With electrical rates that low, the variable speed pump is not going to pay back the additional up front cost.

Nearly any in-ground pump can handle solar panels that are up two stories.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you everyone! We'll probably post photos of our project as it gets going.
    Built in 2014