Adding salt

chclark

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 14, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
So I am new to all this, so if I am off base please let me know. I would like to add salt to my pool for the added "feel". I do not have a SWG, so how is the best way to add it? Just dump SLOWLY and brush? Does the salt effect the pump and filter? Pool Calc says 350lbs to get 2000ppm, which I have read on here is a good number without a SWG. I have a t-100 and use BBB. Is there any chemical number I need to be at, like with borates, before adding? any advice good or bad would be helpful.

test last night...
FC 6.6
CC 0
ph 7.8
TA 110
cya 60
CH 190

brought the PH down to 7.2 and TA to 100

Just dump it in. It does not impact any other level.

We just had a birthday party and I was dumping the 40 pound bags onto the kids swimming at the time ... I think some of the parents briefly freaked out :shock:

The kids loved playing with it ... often referred to a "Diamond Day" on the forum.

BTW, you can use solar salt for much cheaper than the "pool" salt.

chclark said:
Awesome! thanks much! going to add it this weekend. This might be a dumb question.... but is it safe to assume that my salt level is now Zero? I will buy a test kit, but I would like to add salt ASAP.
You will have some level of salt in the pool. All sources of chlorine leave salt behind.

So I tested the salt using test strips from tftestkit.net before adding salt reading was about 300ppm. Pool calc said to add 320lbs to get 2000ppm. So I did that saturday, and tested last night. Test strips are saying 1000ppm...there is a very slight salt taste. Is this normal at 2000ppm? seems that the strips were off. im hoping that I didnt add too much...... not sure that i trust the strips. hopefully the inital reading of 300 wasnt way off base.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.