Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding salt

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding salt

So I am new to all this, so if I am off base please let me know. I would like to add salt to my pool for the added "feel". I do not have a SWG, so how is the best way to add it? Just dump SLOWLY and brush? Does the salt effect the pump and filter? Pool Calc says 350lbs to get 2000ppm, which I have read on here is a good number without a SWG. I have a t-100 and use BBB. Is there any chemical number I need to be at, like with borates, before adding? any advice good or bad would be helpful.

test last night...
    FC 6.6
    CC 0
    ph 7.8
    TA 110
    cya 60
    CH 190

brought the PH down to 7.2 and TA to 100
    IG 16x32 Grecian - Vinyl - Approx 18k gal - 1 HP Hayward Super Pump - Pentair Triton II TR-60 Sand Filter - Hayward ColorLogic Light - Hayward H250FD Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding salt

Just dump it in. It does not impact any other level.

We just had a birthday party and I was dumping the 40 pound bags onto the kids swimming at the time ... I think some of the parents briefly freaked out

The kids loved playing with it ... often referred to a "Diamond Day" on the forum.

BTW, you can use solar salt for much cheaper than the "pool" salt.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Awesome! thanks much! going to add it this weekend. This might be a dumb question.... but is it safe to assume that my salt level is now Zero? I will buy a test kit, but I would like to add salt ASAP.
    IG 16x32 Grecian - Vinyl - Approx 18k gal - 1 HP Hayward Super Pump - Pentair Triton II TR-60 Sand Filter - Hayward ColorLogic Light - Hayward H250FD Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by chclark
    Awesome! thanks much! going to add it this weekend. This might be a dumb question.... but is it safe to assume that my salt level is now Zero? I will buy a test kit, but I would like to add salt ASAP.
    You will have some level of salt in the pool. All sources of chlorine leave salt behind.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

5. Back To Top    #5

This situation is one time that I recommend going to a pool store and let them test the salt level. Don't bother buying a salt test for yourself as you would hardly if ever need it.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

I was at 1200 ppm salt before adding any bags. So you certainly want to test before adding any.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

great thanks!!!

8. Back To Top    #8

update.
    Got the salt test strips along with speedstir (awesome). Im going to add salt tonight. Lowes has pellets and crystals which route should I go? They are only about a $1 differnece in price.....

9. Back To Top    #9

I used the solar salt from Lowe's. Pellets are fine as long as they have no additives, they will be slower to dissolve.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

So I tested the salt using test strips from tftestkit.net before adding salt reading was about 300ppm. Pool calc said to add 320lbs to get 2000ppm. So I did that saturday, and tested last night. Test strips are saying 1000ppm...there is a very slight salt taste. Is this normal at 2000ppm? seems that the strips were off. im hoping that I didnt add too much...... not sure that i trust the strips. hopefully the inital reading of 300 wasnt way off base.