New Pool Owner!

Ugmul

Jun 13, 2013
Tucson Az
Hey Everyone!

I will be moving into a new place by the end of the month and its coming with a pool! I have been reading through this sight and have found nothing but great information, and I wanted to say hi and ask for some advice for a newbie like me.

First some history! Saw the place, looked great. pool had been neglected terribly. It had maybe a foot of water, pure green sludge and Crud. But good news, the owners were putting $7000 into it, so we said, sign me up!.

First, its approx 15,000 gallons, in ground pool. It has a white plaster finish. I live in Southern Arizona so we will have lots of sunlight, though we have an east facing yard, so after 2-3pm its in the shade.

They are installing a duel speed pump right now, it will be preprogramed for 14hours on low, 2 hours on high. I should be able to adjust this as needed. I am purchasing the testing kit everyone loves on here. And I am really leaning towards the BBB Method, it seems simple, effective, and affordable. They also said they are installing or including a cleaner. My first plan is to test the water as soon as its finished, and go from there. I am considering getting a removable soft cover to help with sun light exposure.

I don't know what type of filter system will be in it, but once the pools done, I will be in contact with the company installing it to get a good walk through on how it all works.

So, basics for a newbie, is a pool cleaner one of the side vacuuming robots? What type of maintenance equipment is good for starting, a brush, leaf rake, . . . what else is good? :-D

What issues should I be aware of with the white plaster?

Thanks for reading, Im am really looking forward to having the pool and keeping it pristine! (with everyone's expert advice at least)

Well Ive been reading more and more, and I found the section on start up with plaster finishes on the pools.

Now it says dont swim during start up, at all. I got the hint, but no where does it say what the start up time is. 3 weeks? 1 month? 6 months?

I have talked to the construction company and they mentioned brushing daily ect, but didnt seem concerned or warned about staying out of the pool after they had it filled/set up. I was wondering if anyone can help with what to expect with the white plaster. Will we be able to swim after 3 weeks? Any special care on the finish besides brushing and watching levels?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.