New owner making progress w/ question

Dolomite

Silver Supporter
Jun 13, 2013
Hello folks, first let me say up front thanks for the great site and wealth of knowledge. I bought a house last fall with an IG 20k gallon pool (Plaster/Gunnite in Mass) and had no idea how to run it (still don’t), but I’m slowly figuring it out. I opened to a green swamp and decided I would move toward the BBB method. My first move was to shock the heck out of it using guesswork (I didn’t have the TF-100 yet). In about a week my pool cleared, got the TF-100 and passed the overnight test. I also discovered I had CYA of 0 and probably over shocked it at that level. Here are my current results.

FC – 9
CC - .5
CYA – 0
TA – 50
PH – 6.8
TH – 220

I created a mix of stabilizer and pool water and dumped it into the skimmer Mon/Tues to bring the CYA up to 30. Assuming when I test again this weekend I hit that level my questions are:

1 – Does 30 sound like a good #?
2 – Should I next adjust TA w/ baking soda and then tackle PH if it’s still low or….
3 – Something else?

Sorry if any of this is confusing. I’m still new to this and getting over a 3OT loss by the Bruins to the Hawks!

We generally suggest hanging CYA in a sock in front of a return to let it dissolve as it can take several days, if you added it to your filter, you need to avoid backwashing the filter (if sand or DE type, or cleaning if cartridge) for at least 3 or 4 days), also CYA can take up to a week after it is dissolved to fully register on the test.

30 is a bit on the low side unless you get a lot of shade

I would make adjusting pH a priority as the test only goes down to reading 6.8 so your real level could be much lower

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.