Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New owner of an old pool....

1. Back To Top    #1

New owner of an old pool....

Hello Everyone,
    This coming month I am closing on our new home, which contains a circa 68 vinyl lined inground pool. The surrounding area needs work, but the pool itself appeared to be in decent shape. Plus the filter is nearing its end of life. I figured it would be best if I have the pool serviced the first year since I will be renovating the interior for most of the summer. However, I would like to learn as much as possible this year before jumping into DIY maintenance next year. Starting off with the most critical items; the filter & diving board.

About the filter; I know its getting close to its end of life and would like to prepare for its eventual replacement. In reading some information online; I was under the impression it might be worth replacing the filter system with the following:

-Increase the skimmer line to a 2" with a larger skimmer.
    -Install a separate 2" pressure type cleaner line for an automatic cleaner
    -Provide a minimum 60 sf DE filter
    -Provide a hayward 1 (maybe 1.5) HP filter.
    -Provide a timer on the filter system

Any thoughts on this proposal? And is it possible to DIY the whole thing? Seems very scary..

As for the diving board; attached is a photo of the base. The previous sellers "misplaced" the board. Just wondering if I can find a replacement board or do I have to install a new one?

Any help you guys could provide would be helpful. Thank you in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~kalats
    (New owner of an old pool)
    33K gallons, IG-Vinyl, Sand Filter -PF Triton, Hayward 1HP, circa 1968

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New owner of an old pool....

Welcome to TFP!

Replacing plumbing is very involved because you have to either dig under the concrete decking or remove part of it and then dig. 2" is probably overkill for a cleaner.

Be careful of oversizing the pump. More than likely you can get by with a 1HP pump or even smaller.

I'd run with what you have for a while before considering major changes.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

The timer is a nice addition and is fairly easy to do, either diy if you've done electrical before or for an electrician.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys for the sage advice. Any input on the diving board?
    ~kalats

5. Back To Top    #5

Check with your home insurance company before making any plans to repair / replace your diving board, some of them will not cover pools with diving boards, it seems to be about a 50/50 split on the issue.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't recognize the stand. If you could find a brand name anywhere on it that would be a huge help.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Alright John. I will take a look at it next time I am there
    ~kalats