Hello all. I have been following this site for the past two seasons, this year i decided to take the plunge ditch the pool store and follow the BBB method. The issue i'm having is that my CC levels are very high and have been that way since i opened. Now i know that i'm supposed to keep shocking until it goes down. However, i'm reading all these horror stories of people putting 100+ gallons of bleach and still having high CC. My question is, if my pool is sparkling clean and the water does not irritate anyone's skin or eyes- what is so bad with high CC, why can't i just leave it as-is?
As some background, last season prior to closing my pool store told me i had very high nitrates and i need to drain half my pool, which i did, but it did not help the problem. And this season right after i opened i went to pool store to test and once again, they told me to drain half the pool because of very high nitrates. So i'm guessing the bleach/free chlorine i'm putting in is going to fight the nitrates and turning it into CC. But i'm back to my original question, if my pool is sparkling clean and the water does not irritate anyone's skin or eyes- what is so bad with high CC, why can't i just leave it as-is?
As far as test results, everything seems to be in order (PH= 7.9; TA= 90; CH= 160). My CNY is on the low side (even though i added conditioner twice and each one was supposed to increase by 30ppm. It is currently reading 20 or below. So my second question is, if i am convinced to keep shocking to bring down CC, should i first raise CNY level?
Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide, it's greatly appreciated!