High water table

Jun 3, 2008
NJ,USA
When I opened my pool today I found the liner ripped on the top edge of the pool. I have the high water table and probably water damaged liner during the winter. Since I have to put a new liner I'd like to solve my floating liner problem. What options do I have? I heard about installing a sump pump under the vinyl in the shallow end, or dig 8-10 deep feet hole outside the pool and sump pump in it. What is the right solution?
BTW. Will I be able to use the liner warranty since my pool is only 5 years old?
Thanks for any reply.

Most liner warranties only cover the seams, and are prorated.

What kind of slope do you have around the pool? Is there a place where you can pump the groundwater if you install a sump?

I contacted my pool installer and he said since the tears are around the seams that I may b eligable for the liner warranty.

I have about 3 feet of stamped concrete around the pool after that the property is almost level. There are no big slopes

Unfortunately, my installer called me and said that the manufacturer will not cover any of the cost to replace the liner. I was quoted for the liner and installation for a 40x22 sierra pool at $4500. Is this a reasonable price? This is only the 5th season for this pool and I am extremely disappointed and frustrated.

Welcome to TFP!!

The price sounds ~ $1000 too high, but I haven't done pool work in NJ for 20 years, so that may be the going rate there (FWIW - I grew up in Tenafly NJ and my first pool job was in Closter)

If you are paying that much, be sure that they come out and measure the pool - there is a chance that the pool was installed slightly out of square and that's why the first liner failed - if it's the same company that installed the pool they won't want to admit this - just tell them that you are worried that the pool might have shifted (though that is ~ impossible on a properly installed pool) - you should get a new liner that EXACTLY matches your pool if dropping almost 5 large to get a new liner! You also should not have to pay extra for a 'custom cut' liner!!

I do this for a living in Ct and for the past 8 years I've worked for a company that specializes in IG liner pools. I'm very curious as to what caused the rip in the liner... did the deck 'heave' perchance?

With your high water table a 'well point' would be the best solution - a well point is what you were talking about when you mentioned digging a hole and filling it with gravel and installing a pump to keep the water at bay. I'll give you more info if you'd like - I gotta go to work now :thumbdown:

Thank you very much for the response. I made a deal with a company. He will remeasure the pool, clean and scrub bottom and sides, install new liner, save my pool water and install two drains to take care of my floating liner problem. All for $4300. I am just curious about the drains system that he recommended. The system will have two drain lines. One will be installed about 4 feet below the top of the pool on the deep end of the pool. The second drain will be installed about 2 feet below the top of the pool on the shallow end. He will drill 2 inch diameter hole in the metal wall of the pool and connect with a fitting to a 2 inch drain pipe. Basically when the water builds up between liner and walls. The water will escape by gravity through the drain. Does this system sound like it will work? The contractor said he works in this area and is well aware of the high water level and was very confident that this is a permenant solution by experience. He offered to install foam padding along the walls for $400 extra. I currently do not have the padding. Is this worth it?

to be quite honest, I don't see what the extra lines he wants to install will do :scratch: The problem is with the water outside the pool pushing the liner around and I can not see how any more ports IN the pool would alieviate that - however, maybe I'm just not understanding his suggestion.

As for the padding 'wall foam' - we use it on every pool we do but with the pools that have the liner float - it becomes a real PITA!. The foam floats and will cause wrinkles when water gets behind the liner- knowing that you have a high water table, I would opt not to get it!

Thank you again for your reply. I had another estimate today. Basically the guy came up with the same price, but offered me 20 years labor warranty and different type of drain system. The system will consist of a hydrostatic valve. He will make a hole in the shallow end of the pool in the vermiculite (like a dry well) and install the hydrostatic valve which will release water into the pool when water builds up underground. Also he did not recommend to liner lock the pool. I have to give him an answer tommorrow so that the job can be complete by July 4th. Please give me advice as soon as you can. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.