Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
I've searched and found posts saying many of you leave cleaners in the pool 24/7, mostly NOT robots. I left my Platinum Legend in 24/7, but now have an Aquabot 4WD. An Aquabot FAQ:

12. Should I take my robotic pool cleaner out of the pool once it is finished with the cleaning cycle?
The robotic pool cleaner should stay in the water at least 20 minutes after running to allow it to cool down before it is removed from the water.

Not really answering the question. It's easy to pull it out, but my 2 concerns:
1. Pull it out and have it exposed to 90-100 degree heat daily (drying out gaskets, degrading plastics, exposing motors to heat)
2. Leave it in 24/7 (keeping it cool, but bleach attacking gaskets?)

I tend to think in the pool is better for the unit (unless you are shocking). Less strain on the cord, less strain on the back, keeps rubber roller and wheels wet (better than dried out). The baskets are so big, and unless you have a lot of silt or big leaves, I can't see needing to clean them but every 3 or 4 cycles. The clear plastic on top makes it easy to see what's in the baskets at the bottom of the pool (very cool). It will be interesting to see what others with robots are doing ("robots" being something with an electrical motor in it).

I don't have a robot but if I did, I would probably leave it in just because I would not want to pull it out everyday. Also, exposing wet equipment to oxygen and excess heat isn't without risk either. So I would tend to agree with you that the pool is probably better than out of the pool.

Response from an email to Aquabot:

Thank you for purchasing our products to help maintain a clean , healthy and enjoyable swimming environment. We generally do not recommend leaving it in the pool 24/7, because this can deteriorate the unit. Doing it occasionally is ok. The best thing to do is store it in a shed or inside . If you cannot, then some where out of the sunlight.

I "tend" to disagree, but I may take the term "occasionally" rather loosely.

The chlorine can degrade some the parts but unless you rinse it off after you pull it out, that will remain on the cleaner for some time. So to me, it is about being practical more than optimal.

I always remove my aquabot from the pool, hose off the filter bag and the unit itself, then I store it in the shed. My first one lasted over 10 years, and was still going strong ( after a cord fix ) when I sold it.

Tom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.