Chlorine Allergy! We use pristine blue and need help!

Jun 13, 2013
I know that pristine blue does not have a good rep here, but that's what we have to use. My daughter has reactions to chlorine (even the amount in the city water sometimes) so we CANNOT use it. We use pristine blue in our pool. It is vinyl, and we only have it up from late May until August. We purchased a sand filter this year. Can you please make a reccomendation for a NON chlorine sanitizing agent (and it cannot have artificial colors or smells), and also just any general guidelines to help us keep this thing clear and safe?

Welcome to TFP!

More than likely your only choice is biguanide, which is marketed as Baquacil and Soft-Swim. It, unlike Pristine Blue, actually sanitizes the water.More than likely you will need to drain and refill the pool a significant amount every year, but it can be managed. Learn about the process yourself, as many pool stores believe the way marketing hype that it requires no effort.

I'd go with biguanide then. Most of the issues people have with it come after the water is a few years old. It is one of only 3 EPA approved pool sanitizers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.