Hate my SWG system. What should I replace it with?

Sep 6, 2008
Mississippi
Local pool supply place (whose owner lives in my neighborhood) recommended an in-line chlorinator.

SWG has worked very poorly in my pool. It's green AGAIN and cell appears to be dying.

Recommendations and advice welcome!

Richard

SV6,
Maybe you just got a lemon SWG. Or maybe your water's chemical balance is off.

Is it municipal or well water in your pool?

If you will post your test results, including your salt level and usual SWG generation percentage, we might well be able to tell what the cause is, and assist you.

We look forward to your information.

alanpaul said:
SV6,

If you will post your test results, including your salt level and usual SWG generation percentage, we might well be able to tell what the cause is, and assist you.

This is my third cell in 6 years. Municipal water. Frequent rain.

I'm done with SWGs. Not even considering buying another cell.

SinistrV6 said:
alanpaul said:
SV6,

This is my third cell in 6 years. Municipal water. Frequent rain.

I'm done with SWGs. Not even considering buying another cell.

I feel your pain. We struggled with the Intex Krystal Clear SWCG for two years. When buying a new pool this year, going back to the generator was not an option. We looked at in-line (actually bought an off-line) chlorinator, but most everybody on this board discourages their use because you have to use a puck, which is going to add either too much CYA or too much calcium. I'm just using bleach and dichlor until the CYA level is ideal. I doubt that I'll plumb in the chlorinator when I plumb the new pump. There are bleach chlorinators but my pool isn't big enough to warrant one.

Manually chlorinating with bleach remains probably the single best way to sanitize your pool. It certainly doesn't have the convenience of an SWG but it sure makes for a nice, clear pool.

duraleigh said:
Manually chlorinating with bleach remains probably the single best way to sanitize your pool. It certainly doesn't have the convenience of an SWG but it sure makes for a nice, clear pool.

Agreed. Plus, my SWG has been anything but convenient and has delivered poor results. So I'm willing to put in a little more effort if I get significantly better results.

My pool is about 30,000 gallons, btw.

duraleigh said:

So, would that be your recommendation? I'm considering an in-line chlorinator at this point.

Richard

linen said:
I realize the ship has already sailed, but I would be interested in what your pool tests results are.

By inline chlorinator, what are you referring too?

This-->. NEW PENTAIR RAINBOW 320 AUTOMATIC INLINE CHLORINE FEEDER R171096

Current values don't mean much because its green and being shocked, algaecide added and swept to waste.

FC-1
TA -200
pH -7.5
Cc-.5
CYA-70

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I love my stenner pump injection set up, no issues and maintains automatically.. 15gal tank that lasts about a month using 12% bleach...but I usually top it off every 2-3 weeks anyway...and I can leave my pool unattended for vacation without having to worry about having someone dose it for me...just check on it for me here and there and that's about it....

Sent from my DNA using Tapatalk

linen said:
I am going to guess that your plates were constantly getting covered in deposits?

SinistrV6 said:
This-->. NEW PENTAIR RAINBOW 320 AUTOMATIC INLINE CHLORINE FEEDER R171096
This is a very bad choice for your primary means of chlorination. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

No. I'm seeing some deposits now but it hasn't been an issue. Even when the SWG is working "properly" it never seems to be able to keep the pool clean. It's the correct size for my pool (according to the manufacturer). My first one was undersized (pool installer error discovered after over a year of struggling). The second one never seemed to do anything, even though it's voltage and amperage were good. The third one (an eBay generic cell) worked the best of the three but is only working intermittantly at this point.

I've got a good test kit and I've followed this board almost since I got the pool. If you don't agree with an in-line chlorinator, what would you suggest?

roadking00 said:
I love my stenner pump injection set up, no issues and maintains automatically.. 15gal tank that lasts about a month using 12% bleach...but I usually top it off every 2-3 weeks anyway...and I can leave my pool unattended for vacation without having to worry about having someone dose it for me...just check on it for me here and there and that's about it....

Sent from my DNA using Tapatalk

I'll read up on this setup. Hadn't heard of it until today.

Well one option would be like roadking suggested either a stenner pump or the liquidator as means to dose liquid chlorine into your pool, but I think I would suggest bleach/liquid chlorine to start, then you can decide if you want an injector once you get a hang of that.

duraleigh said:

This is just one reason I don't think I will go with automation on an IG pool. I deal with sophisticated chemical/control automation at work every day. Every kind of chemical pump, sensor, and valve you can think of.... and I think it would just be nice not to have that worry when I get home. I really think I will do without it when the time comes just for the sake of simplicity.

We had an Intex SWG for 3 years and are now putting in a new ABG pool in our new back yard. We wouldn't dream of NOT using a SWG, we loved it. It was almost care free except for having to clean the cell plates, but I enjoyed doing this once a week while in the pool. I used vinegar to clean them and made a salt cell cleaning container out of PVC pipe and fittings myself. Just put in the cell plates and vinegar, then using a wooden skewer to help flake off any remaining deposits. Our SWG was never replaced. The water never turned green and was always perfect. My trick for this was taking a water test to our local Leslie's Pool Store to be analyzed every couple of weeks. It was almost always perfect, but if it was off a little, I just did exactly what they suggested and voila, perfect water. I do know the level of salt is critical but we never had an issue with algae or the feel of the water. The pool store made it's suggestions if the water was a little cloudy and after following their suggestions, it always returned to crystal clear. Just what worked for us. We are in the planning process with our new pool and will go with a Radiant Metric to partially bury the pool, and we will probably use a Compupool SWG this time around.

I thought I would put my two cents in. I had the Intex SWG....ya, it was OK but I still added like a cup of bleach to the pool after a weekend of swimming and playing to keep the levels perfect. I did not clean the cell and if I had to do it again with salt, a cleaning schedule would be in order.

This year, I went strickly and only bleach. So yes, for the first couple of weeks I tested every day. Now I just test MAYBE every other day and add bleach according to the pool calculator. I have had the best pool ever this year doing this. So there you have it.....

Bob E.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.