Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how much sand for install?

1. Back To Top    #1

Newcastle, Oklahoma

how much sand for install?

so ive been leveling out the site with a flat shovel, 16ft 2 by and a 4ft level. getting close to done and about ready for sub base.

i plan on buying 2 inch by 6 x 10 blocks from walmart for the legs of the pool (intex 18ft ultra). i plan on placing them in position, level each block, then spreading out the sand around them, then making a level 2 inch thick sand bottom for liner, with blocks being even with the sand height. my thought is by placing blocks on hard ground instead of burying in sand, is it should all but elimate settling issues, as the blocks will be on hard clay based ground, not soft sand.

does this sound like a good plan? is 2 inches enough to protect liner and give good foot padding?
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

SW Ohio

Re: how much sand for install?

2 inches is what I used and placing the pavers on solid ground will be fine.just be aware that the legs move outward as the pool fills and the legs can slip off the pavers and end up under the liner don't ask how I know so I corrected the issue with 3/4 inch treated plywood cut in 7.5 inch squares and held flush with the inside of the plastic foot and centered left to right and screwed to the outside of the plastic foot so as the pool fills the leg support ( plywood ) moves with the leg....problem solved. I also sanded the inside edges and smooth and rounded the corners just as a precaution......Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all