First timer... almost ready to fill, I think...

Hello all! :wave:

GREAT forum with an almost overwhelming amount of information available. I've been reading posts and Pool School information for about a week now while getting ready to install our first pool. We are real close to assembling and filling our new Intrex 18 x 48 Ultra Frame. We purchased the 1200 gph sand filter/pump unit right away as well as a SWG for added chlorine convenience. I also plan on following the BBB method of water maintenance.

I've tried to be as prepared as possible and I have what I believe to be enough supplies on hand to get a good safe start on this pool and be ready to handle any situation that arises.(with the help of this site) 50lbs of sand, 200lbs of salt, several gallons of bleach, a gallon of Muriatic acid, 4 lbs of 100% Cyanuric acid, two boxes of 20 mule borax and a bag of baking soda. (I realize I won't be using ALL of this right away, as I said, just being prepared.) And the most important part... a TF-100 test kit.

Yesterday I tested the tap water that I plan on using for the fill. (City water, not softened) Here are those #'s:

FC - 0 (as expected)
Ph - 7.3
TA - 330 (pretty darn high) ((hope I did the test correctly))
CH - 340 (again, pretty high) ((Again, " " " " " "))
CYA - 0
TC - < .5

I was very methodical with my testing process so I believe these numbers to be correct. And if they are correct, is this high TA going to give me trouble getting down to the recommended 60 ~ 80ppm in a reasonable amount of time, (w/aeration) should I maybe consider having my initial fill water bulk delivered or will this high TA not be of concern for the first couple of weeks?

I have been reading as much as I can and have printed all the applicable Pool School articles for quick reference but I think I'm still going to be looking for a little hand holding/reassurance until I get some real world results under my belt.
:cheers:

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Those numbers all look fine to me.....except TA might be lower than you tested.

When you added the R-009 (that's the one where you count the drops one at a time) did you wipe the dropper tip with a damp cloth every 2-3 drops?

Welcome! :wave:

You bathe in that same water without health effects, right? High TA shouldn't keep you out of the pool, it just means more acid. And Duraleigh has covered what might be wrong with that test.

Get things balanced using bleach, then add salt, then fire off SWG. Check out the highlighted post here, if you have kids.

Thanks for the rapid replies!

I actually wiped the reagent tip after EVERY drop just for safe measure. :wink: I'll retest once more before and after the actual fill.

Although I know there will be no personal harm due to the high TA, I'm curious of how long it might take to get down to the recommended 60 ~ 80ppm with acid and aeration. The Pool School section on "Water Balance for SWG's" emphasizes the importance of adjusting the TA to those levels.

I've read that link a couple of times before, Richard. :) Unfortunately, our children are now grown adults and my Grandchildren are too young to do any diving but that doesn't mean my bride and I can't enjoy a Diamond Day soon!! :party:

Thanks again!

I will comment on your high Total Alkalinity reading, as I just got a TF-100 test kit last week, and have been a pool owner for 16 years, and have tested TA all this time. There is something wrong in the TA test in the TF-100 I received. I've got a Taylor kit that tests TA as well (doesn't do CYA, hence the TF-100). The TF-100 takes TWICE as many drops of R-0009 as the Taylor kit does. It really is like the TF-100 is reading 5ppm per drop, not 10ppm per drop of R-0009 like the instructions say.

I know my water is 140ppm TA (measured with the Taylor kit, at the Local Pool Store, and using test strips), and the TF-100 took 27 drops - which I will equate to a reading of 135ppm.

I've emailed the place I bought the TF-100 kit from, and not received a response. So for now, I am not using the TF-100 for that one test, unless I divide by 2.

I would put money on your TA reading really being around 165, not 330.

jfmorris said:
Blackwolf said:
Interesting results... maybe I'll take a sample of my tap water to the Pool Store to verify the TA. (but make sure to leave my wallet in the truck!) :wink:

I just received this kit from the "East Coast" supplier.

Thanks for your input! :cheers:

Same place I bought mine, received last week.

I also received mine last week. It seems like a great kit and I'm sure it will help me keep on top of my water conditions. It would be interesting to hear from others who have just received kits as to what they are reading for TA.
I also noticed a slight "typo" in step #3 of the Chlorine Drop Test. It says "Count each drop until the solution turns back to clear. Multiply the number of drops you added x 0.5 (ie. 14 drops x .05 = 7ppm)

I am still VERY happy with this test kit! :goodjob:

Guys, I manufacture the TF-100 and we have received no emails in the last few days concerning TA testing issues.

If you will PM me with your name and number, I will call you back and get your TA issues resolved.

This is TFTestkits and you either purchased a TF-100 from me or from Pool Supply World out of California. Please PM me.

Guys,

I just wanted to let you know that Dave from TFTestKits called me, and we discussed my TA measurement issues, compared to the Taylor kit I have. Turns out after careful observation tonight, that the bottle of R-0009 in the new TF-100 kit was putting out slightly smaller drops than the Taylor branded bottle I have had since late last year. It is the "static build up" issue I have seen discussed on here. Wiping the tip with a damp paper towel between drops gave me a consistent and larger drop size, and I was able to duplicate the Total Alkalinity reading from the Taylor kit.

Thanks again Dave for going the extra mile and giving me that call this morning. EXCELLENT customer service!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.