Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: a little input?

1. Back To Top    #1

a little input?

I have not started the pool yet I'm still dealing with algae at the moment just filtering

I'm wondering should I test the water before I first shock the pool with algae?

I decided it wouldn't hurt to test it so yesterday i got
    Ph 7.2
    Ta 40

I added about 12 lbs of baking soda .. 24 hours later

Ph 8.0-8.2
    Ta 60

there is a storm coming and wondering if I should hold off shocking with bleach
    and just add some acid to bring the Ph down .. wouldn't that take my ta back to 40?

so acid to lower ph then more baking soda .. repeat .. then shock?
    21X41, 30,000, ig, vinyl,48sf de, 1hp hayward super pump, 2" piping, 2 skimmers, 1 main inlet, 2 return, built in 1988, no enclosure, lots of trees around, direct sun. Thanks in advance to all who have answered my questions.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: a little input?

Well, let's review your baking soda dose. 12 lbs of baking soda should have moved your TA by about 30 ppm and moved your pH by .06. Clarifying that decimal as .06.....not .6

Baking soda raises TA and has virtually no affect on pH.

You have a testing or dosing error or a combination of those two.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

it was possibly 10 lbs i didn't weigh it but every time i have done it it moves 20 ppm ...

my test kit is about a year old .. I tested the ph 3 times and got a high reading .. but it was fine yesterday .. or was it? hmmm
    maybe i should just keep filtering and forget testing until I get a new test kit?
    21X41, 30,000, ig, vinyl,48sf de, 1hp hayward super pump, 2" piping, 2 skimmers, 1 main inlet, 2 return, built in 1988, no enclosure, lots of trees around, direct sun. Thanks in advance to all who have answered my questions.

4. Back To Top    #4

i used a 2 year old test kit and got relatively the same high ph reading .. should I let the acid rain do the work for me?

5. Back To Top    #5

I would lower to pH to 7.2 and start the shock process and only test fc and cc during the shock process because high fc levels givethe ph test false high results.....do you have one of the recommended test kits?
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

6. Back To Top    #6

yes a taylor from tftestkits .. but it is a year old

7. Back To Top    #7

Taylor recommends replacing the reagents each year. We have found that if you store them carefully, in a cool dark place that doesn't freeze, they will last two years (or more sometimes).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I would lower to pH to 7.2 and start the shock process
    The problem I see there is that I don't know what OP's starting pH is. 8.2 for pH is purple.....7.2 is orange. SHADEZ, are you somewhere in the red to pinkish orange?

Testing and dosing accurately is imperative to managing your own pool water.
    Dave S.

9. Back To Top    #9

it was orange the first day i test but i only tested it once .. the last five times it was purple .. so i added 1 lbs of dry acid (or close to it).. will check again 6 hours later

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Pump running, pH changes are completed in an hour.
    Dave S.

11. Back To Top    #11

Even with dry acid? The instructions on the container says to add 4oz per 10,000 gallons of water then allow 6 to 8 hours for distribution

12. Back To Top    #12

Pre-dissolve in a bucket of water, pour slowly in front of a return while the pump is running, and wait one hour.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

My Ph is about 7.5 and Ta is about 65 (turns purple at 60, turns red at 70)
    I read that changing ta also changes the Ta
    I'm about to shock tonight with bleach
    I'm going to attempt to drop the ph with 1 lbs or so of dry acid
    then I'll try shocking with bleach .. would this raise my ph back up along with raising ta a little also?
    so I skip the baking soda?

14. Back To Top    #14

How can I test for cya below 20?

what are the risks and disadvantages of going over the recommended shocking level?

15. Back To Top    #15

there is no way, after your cya is dissolved for a week test cya if it is still not registering add enough more cya to get you to 40 in a sock in front of the return and wait a week and test again. as far as overshooting your goal aslong as you use the pool calculator you should end up close to where you want to be, but if you overshot it by a little no harm no foul just drain a little and top off the pool or let the rain do it for you......Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm

16. Back To Top    #16

SHOCK LEVEL
    if you overshoot shock level it usually wont hurt anything unless you go WAY over and it could fade your liner over time.....Mike