Chlorine and Algae...HELP

Jun 12, 2013
Hello Everyone,

I am a new pool owner so please forgive me if I am missing any info. Two weeks ago we had an algae bloom as temps here in Houston rose above 90. We were relying on our pool guy to help solve the problem but I think too much time passed from the day it started until it was treated. At this time we also found that the manifold was cracked and DE was shooting into the pool. That has been fixed and the pool filter was cleaned and back washed. Water is clear and pump has been running 24/7.

Yesterday the pool was vacuumed but we still have green algae clinging to walls and steps. There is also brownish stains on the bottom of the pool. Not sure if it is algae or DE stains. Each time I brush, I get a little more off. I tested the water last night and FCC was at 0.5 despite tons of shock and chlorine over the last two weeks. The water is very clear and sparkly.

I took another sample and went to the pool store. Here are the results:

FC 0.5
TC 0.5
CH 220
CYA 30
TA 100
Ph 7.4
TDS 550
PHO 400

Chlorine was gone, ph was a little low. I went home with $250 worth of chemicals. I added some soda ash to raise the ph last night. Added tabs to chlorinator and set it on 5. I also put tabs in a floater and brushed the whole pool.

This morning I brushed the whole pool. Put in 2 lbs of Green to Clean and 2 lbs of Power Powder Plus. This afternoon I tested the chlorine and it was again at 0.5. From what I have read in Pool School, it sounds like the FC has never gotten up to shock level. From what I understand, it sounds like I need to get 4 gallons of bleach in at once with a CYA of 30 in a 16,000 pool.

Does this sound correct? Is there anything else I should be doing to get this algae out of the pool? Is the CYA too low? I did get a bottle of phosphate remover to use once the algae is gone. Any info is greatly appreciated. This is driving me crazy!!!

Thanks for your time,
Shasta

My pool: 16,000 gallon. Plaster. DE Filter

Sorry it sounds like you have been pool stored :( You probably did not need anything more than about $50 in bleach to fix this problem (although you never know if you may have a more hardy strain of algae)

It really is hard to know if your have killed all the algae without doing an overnight chlorine loss test which requires the FAS-DPD Chlorine test which is not found in cheap test kits. Although with visible algae you are certainly not done shocking. Therefore I suggest ordering one of the test kits we suggest, read pool school a time or two more, and let us free you from being pool stored ever again.

Ike

Welcome! :wave:

You've been pool-stored.

Stop with the powders already!

That bleach is just the initial dose. It could possibly all get used up wityhin hours depending on how tough a strain of algae you have. So prepare to buy a whole lot of it.

Study Pool School. Until you feel :crazy: While you recover from that, go test FC and add more bleach and brush until you can read some more.

Some inspiration:
a-little-encouragement-for-those-with-algae-and-new-to-bbb-t57137.html
frog-filled-green-swamp-to-oasis-work-in-progress-t48213-20.html be sure to look at page 2
before-and-after-t36785.html
a-final-picture-set-of-how-well-the-bbb-method-works-t33199.html

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Well, you are another candidate for the "Pool-Stored" hall of fame ;) There is no way you needed $250 worth of anything. And all those magic powders you are adding to your pool are eventually going to cause you even greater headaches when you are force to drain part of the pool.

I would take back everything you possibly can ... especially the phosphate remover as that is just a profit maker for them.

If you want to take control you need to be willing to do some learning. And that is done by reading Pool School (button at the upper right) to gain an understanding of the chemistry {not as hard as it sounds} and also invest in ordering one of the Recommended Test Kits which will allow you to avoid going to the pool store (who have notoriously bad history of inaccurate and non-repeatable results).

Since you have algae, you need to go through the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS and these are a couple other good reads:
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

If you do not understand the terminology ... start at the top of Pool School.

We can help you clear the pool and save a LOT of money by firing the pool boy and trusting yourself.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

It appears that these results are from pool store testing and not yours. If you don't already have one, you will need a good test kit to properly manage your pool. Here is a comparison of the recommended Test Kits. It is in your best interest to order one...tonight.
ShastaSwims said:
FC 0.5
TC 0.5
CH 220
CYA 30
TA 100
Ph 7.4
TDS 550
PHO 400
TDS and PHO (phosphates) are irrelevant. And, yes, your FC is low.

ShastaSwims said:
From what I have read in Pool School, it sounds like the FC has never gotten up to shock level.
Very likely. Plus, shock level FC needs to be maintained constantly until all criteria outlined in The Shock Process are met. But again, you will need the proper test kit to determine this.

ShastaSwims said:
Put in 2 lbs of Green to Clean and 2 lbs of Power Powder Plus.
Both are unnecessary. Plain liquid bleach is all you need for sanitation and clearing up algae.

While you are waiting for your test kit, I would suggest reading all Pool School articles, but would start with these: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Basic Pool Care Schedule, Recommended Pool Chemicals, How to Chlorinate Your Pool, Chlorine CYA Chart, Shocking Your Pool, Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis.

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses. I have a BioGuard test kit but will look into one of the suggested kits. I told my husband to stop and pick up 10 gallons of bleach at the store. He was concerned and called the pool store and they said not to put bleach in the pool under any circumstances. I asked what they said would happen, their response was that the pool would turn white??? I think anything is better than green. Just put in three gallons and will test in 30 minutes.

Shasta

You should not put bleach in the pool because then they can not sell you a solid form of chlorine that will have side effects and result in you having to buy MORE stuff. Or maybe because they want to sell your their "liquid chlorine" which is totally different than bleach because it is 10% or 12.5% instead of the unsafe 8.25% stuff you will get at the grocery store ... :shock:

{MOD note ... all of the above was sarcasm ;)}

One thing to remember about pool stores, they are in the business to sell chemicals, they do not have your best interest at heart, here we are mostly fellow pool owners that have been pool stored one too many times, and want to help you maintain your pool in the cheapest and easiest way possible

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What pool store told ShastaSwims said:
He was concerned and called the pool store and they said not to put bleach in the pool under any circumstances. I asked what they said would happen, their response was that the pool would turn white???
What an entertaining load of pool store misinformation. :roll: If similar pool store comments did not potentially cause pool owners so much grief, they would almost be funny.

After nearly two years of using bleach for chlorination, my pool has never looked better and my swimsuits and goggles are lasting longer than ever. All because of that "harsh" bleach! :)

If you get your own test kit like the TF-100 with XL option (I did)

And you listen and do what the pro's here tell you to do(I did)

OMG your pool will look like this

Wait for it

Here it is
DSCF0673_zps6ff57d69.jpg

Update....
5 hours of treatment last night and today the pool is BEAUTIFUL!!!! The water is crystal clear and sparkly. Still watching the chlorine today as there was chlorine loss during the day while I was at work.
Thanks to everyone for their help!!!

Shasta

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.