Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pentair legend platinum problem

1. Back To Top    #1

pentair legend platinum problem

Hello im having a problem with my old pool cleaner that i got with the pool in ~2005. The wheels dont move at all; it just sinks to the bottom of the pool. Any ideas? ;(

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pentair legend platinum problem

Look at the inside of the front wheels. Make sure the small gear is engaging. I had one wheel with worn off teeth, so I changed it with a rear wheel and now both turn. Also make sure water is shooting out of the rear jets, that will tell you if there's enough pressure to it.

I just bought an Aquabot 4WD to replace mine. Doesn't work much differently, but saves energy and cleans easily. Does seem to get more of the walls, and also scrubs.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

3. Back To Top    #3

water shoots out the rear ends and the gear and wheels and gears sit snug.. im starting to think its my booster it doesnt make a sound when its on and i dont notice a change in water pressure

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Check the breaker to see if it has been tripped. When the booster pump motor goes bad it will sometimes trip the breaker - you will see it sitting in the middle - not "off" but not "on" either. Usually it will start to make a God awful noise first as the bearings start to go. Was it louder than normal?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mrdgvb1
    Check the breaker to see if it has been tripped. When the booster pump motor goes bad it will sometimes trip the breaker - you will see it sitting in the middle - not "off" but not "on" either. Usually it will start to make a God awful noise first as the bearings start to go. Was it louder than normal?

maybe it's running and i cant hear it over the sound of the pool pump but the breakers are "on"

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

You can turn off your pool pump for a few seconds while the Polaris pump is on and see if you hear it.

7. Back To Top    #7

turned the booster pump on for 2 seconds and quickly i heard a weird noise and sparks flew out... First time this has happened so now atleast i know it was the pumps fault

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Sounds like the bearings & coil are fried inside. Time for a new motor. You can just replace the motor if your booster pump is the type with the face plate held on my several hex nuts. Just replace the gasket also or it may leak later. I've seen them pretty cheap online. 3/4 hp booster pump motor.