Repair DE or change to Sand?

poolnj

Gold Supporter
Jun 9, 2013
I have a lot of DE coming into my pool and it is not clearing up since I opened it a couple of weeks ago. I am giving swimming lessons in my pool starting next week and I really need it up and running, so time is of the essence.

My top manifiold was cracked so I ordered a new one for $50, but a local professional came by, opened my filter and determined that a lot more parts needs replacing. The total in parts would be around $350.

The repairmain suggested that since there can be many things wrong and troubleshooting the current filter can take time, I should switch to a Hayward sand filter since in his opinion the fact that it doesn't filter as fine as DE is very minimal and in his words "you need a microscope to notice."

His price was $75 to vacuum all the DE that is settled in my pool and $750 for the sand filter installed.

I am torn what to do. On one hand, I should really order the DE filter parts and see if that works, but if it doesn't, my swimming lesson income is gone. On the other hand, if I go with the sand filter, I have heard horror stories of people switching from DE to Sand and only having problems, and also those that say DE is really superior.

Help!!! :roll:

Sounds to me like he wants to sell you a sand filter, may have one riding around on his truck. DE vs. Sand is a personal choice issue (unless you live in a place with regulatory restrictions) , you will find people that come down on either side of it. Personally I switched from sand to DE a few years ago and would never go back.

Ike

p.s. prices seem high, I had to replace my DE filter last year after roofers destroyed the old one (replaced same model, etc) cost was about $400-$450, install time was less than an hour. It looks like the Jandy DEV 48 sells online for about $550 or so, not sure about the difference from the DEL, but parts seem to be listed DEL/DEV so I assume they are similar

You should be able to buy all 8 DE grids online for under $150 ... {Just checked, Ebay $135 delivered}. With the top manifold you already got ... there are no more parts in the filter.

The only other option would be a damaged spider gasket in your multi-valve.

The difference in filtration is probably minimal, but if lessons are being given, I'd expect a really high bather load. DE might be better.

On the other hand, you can add some DE to a sand filter and come awful close to a straight DE filter.

But I'd be suspicious that maybe he has a nice sand filter in stock.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

You will probably get all sorts of opinions on this, but I'm going to cast a vote for sand. Here's why:
  • 1. Ease of maintenance - aside from normal backwashing, the only other maintenance a sand filter needs is a good annual cleaning with a garden hose. Pop the lid on the filter (with pump OFF) and stick a garden hose with running water into the filter and let the water gently overflow out the top, thereby taking any left over debris with it. If any channeling or clumps are evident in the sand, gently break them up.
    2. The sand should last the life of the filter (with very rare exceptions). Also, using commercial cleaners labeled for cleaning sand filters is unnecessary. Step 1 above is all you should need to keep it clean and in good condition.
    3. No breathing harmful DE dust.
    4. Some municipalities have restrictions on the use of pool DE and backwashing into sewer systems.

While it is true that DE filters down to a smaller micron level that any other pool filtering medium, the fact is that maintaining proper FC levels and water balance play a major role in clear water regardless of what type of filter you have. I have an older sand filter and every time we entertain (winter or summer), I get at least one comment that my pool is the cleanest they have ever seen. The newer sand filters are improved over the one that I have.

About the only time that you will notice a difference in the filtering between sand and DE is when you are recovering from an algae outbreak. DE will clear that situation up a bit faster than sand. Of course, if you follow the principles we teach, you should never experience this problem. :)

In your situation, you will have to decide on the cost differential between the new filter and the cost of repairs on the current DE filter and factor that into your decision.

Thanks all for your advice! At the end, I was nervous that since my water is not clear and I am blind vacuuming, I would not be able to fully remove the DE that settle. So instead of moving to sand, I spent a few hundred dollars replacing all my DE grids and a few other parts.

Here's an update. I replaced all the grids, the manifold, the o-ring on the standpipe, and a new, full, multiport assembly. It worked like magic and my pool cleared up in 2 days. When adding in DE to the skimmer there was nothing coming back through the returns. However, now that it is perfectly clear, when I add DE, I do see cloudy water coming back through the returns. I have 3 questions:

1. Should the water coming back appear crystal clear, or is it normal to appear cloudy?

2. The only thing that is bothering me is that my original Jandy had a breather tube on the manifold. I purchased a third party generic manifold that the pool store told me works the same as the original, but the new manifold does not have a breather tube but instead has a square with pinholes on the top of the manifold which acts as the breather and seems to be similar to Hayward DE filters. Since the grids are the same for Jandy and Hayward, I took their word that this manifold is a good replacement. Are there any experts in this specific area that can confirm or disagree?

3. The large o-ring that goes around the waist of the filter container seemed slightly stretched, but when I assembled the filter it has a good seal, and there is no pressure loss or leakage from there. I can't see how that would possibly allow DE to return, and I imagine the only symptoms of a faulty tank o-ring would be leaks or pressure, but I figured I would ask just in case there is.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.