Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too Big of a Pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Too Big of a Pump?

My 1/2 hp 3A pump is on it's last leg. A family member has a 1 hp pump that I can have. My sand filter for size reference holds .5 cu ft or 50# of sand max. My question is, would going from the pump I have now that came with or was paired with my sand filter, to a larger 1hp pump work? I don't know what the negative effects would be if I were to over power through the filter. Thanks,

9,400 gallon AG Vinyl, 1/2hp - Sand Filter, Fresh water, Solar Water Heater, BBB Method
    10k gallon 22' AG Vinyl, 2k got Cartridge Filter, Fresh water, BBB Method baby!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Too Big of a Pump?

Post a model number of the pump...but very likely too big for your filter (post the sq. ft. filter area of your filter if you know it or the model number).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I couldn't tell you the pump model number right away as my family member works out of town during the week. And I'll look for more filter specs in a bit. What happens if you pair too big of a pump to a filter? Does it not give adequate time or reduce the capability of the sand actually filtering?

9,400 gallon AG Vinyl, 1/2hp - Sand Filter, Fresh water, Solar Water Heater, BBB Method

4. Back To Top    #4

The water flows to fast through the sand bed potentially causing sand channeling and poor filtering.

Do you know if the 1 hp is and in ground or above ground pump? Often in ground pumps move significantly more water than the same hp above ground pumps.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Above ground. I don't know if it is a variable speed pump..which I'm sure would help. The effective filtration area is 1.07 ft squared. Filtration rate is 20-25 gpm/ft squared. Max working psi is 50.

6. Back To Top    #6

Not that you asked, but your filter is too small. For 9400 gallons we would recommend a minimum of a 1.8 sqft sand filter (18" diameter).

25 GPM is a pretty low flow and that 1 HP is likely going to far exceed that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Well I could either bite the bullet and upgrade the whole setup, or scrounge a bunch more black water line and build another solar heater..this time on top of the roof which is 150' up a hill. That should draw the 1hp pump down if I plumb it to it. Lol. But in all seriousness ill probably save up and upgrade the filter/pump combo.