Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CYA very high

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA very high

please help me ool is green I got my water tested and they said my CYA is 125 told me to drain half the pool and refill it's almost refilled whats next. I don't really trust pool stores.
    14500 gallon AG Sand Filter 2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA very high

Welcome to TFP!!!

Next step is to re-test the water and find out where you are at. So you should order one of the Recommended Test Kits ASAP.

I would not try to balance anything until you can have reliable, repeatable tests. IT just so happens that the CYA test is the one the pool stores are the worst at getting right ... so maybe you needed to replace 50% ... or maybe more ... or maybe less.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Step one, order one of the test kits we recommend (see my signature), step 2 read the pool school link in the upper right of this page, step 3 reread pool school, step 4 ask questions, by then you will know step 5, 6 7...
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

^ What they said.

My experience with pool store vs. my testing using a TF-100 is that the CYA test has the biggest variance. I have taken a few samples to the pool store, just for grins. Each and every time, their CYA result was twice what mine was. If I didn't know any better, I would have needlessly drained & refilled water several times.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville
    ^ What they said.

My experience with pool store vs. my testing using a TF-100 is that the CYA test has the biggest variance. I have taken a few samples to the pool store, just for grins. Each and every time, their CYA result was twice what mine was. If I didn't know any better, I would have needlessly drained & refilled water several times.
    Thanks for the advice I just ordered the test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    Step one, order one of the test kits we recommend (see my signature), step 2 read the pool school link in the upper right of this page, step 3 reread pool school, step 4 ask questions, by then you will know step 5, 6 7...
    I just ordered the test kit , thanks for the help

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Welcome to TFP!!!

Next step is to re-test the water and find out where you are at. So you should order one of the Recommended Test Kits ASAP.

I would not try to balance anything until you can have reliable, repeatable tests. IT just so happens that the CYA test is the one the pool stores are the worst at getting right ... so maybe you needed to replace 50% ... or maybe more ... or maybe less.
    Thanks I just ordered the test kit thanks for the help

8. Back To Top    #8

Re: CYA now at 52

I brought another sample to the pool store after my refill and it tested CYA at 52 so they suggested 2 gallons of shock and 1/2 gallon of algecide. What do you think? my test kit won't be here for a few days and I'm trying to get it fixed for Father's day. Bottom of pool is green.

9. Back To Top    #9

Algaecide is not needed. You just need liquid chlorine ... how much depends on your current FC level.

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE to your signature as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Algaecide is not needed. You just need liquid chlorine ... how much depends on your current FC level.

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE to your signature as it will help us help you.
    I live in upstate NY test results (from pool store ) FC .2ppm TC .2ppm combined chlorine 0ppm Ph 6.3 hardness 60ppm CYA 52

11. Back To Top    #11

Since you don't have the test kit yet but you know you have green water, start with that and your pH.

According to the poolcalculator.com If your pH is that low, that would require about 399 oz of Borax (in the laundry aisle at Wal-Mart and other stores). Do you have a drop CL/pH tester with the test tube block? This would be more reliable than most pool stores.

Sounds to me like you need at least 8-10 gallons of bleach/liquid chlorine (garden center at the Wal-Mart or Home Depot). I think I would start with two gallons in the pool and scoop every bit of junk out of the pool you can. Keep adding until the pool looks better. Add when the tester block show lemon yellow or less color, 4ppm. It is possible for it to bring the chlorine level back to 4 ppm or less in a couple hours with a green pool. It's a good project to do while you are weeding the yard. Weed, drink water,check the levels, weed, drink some water, check the levels.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    Since you don't have the test kit yet but you know you have green water, start with that and your pH.

According to the poolcalculator.com If your pH is that low, that would require about 399 oz of Borax (in the laundry aisle at Wal-Mart and other stores). Do you have a drop CL/pH tester with the test tube block? This would be more reliable than most pool stores.

Sounds to me like you need at least 8-10 gallons of bleach/liquid chlorine (garden center at the Wal-Mart or Home Depot). I think I would start with two gallons in the pool and scoop every bit of junk out of the pool you can. Keep adding until the pool looks better. Add when the tester block show lemon yellow or less color, 4ppm. It is possible for it to bring the chlorine level back to 4 ppm or less in a couple hours with a green pool. It's a good project to do while you are weeding the yard. Weed, drink water,check the levels, weed, drink some water, check the levels.
    I do have a tube style test kit for Chlorine and PH so I'll do that in the morning and just regular bleach is ok? Should I have the pump running while I'm doing this? Pool is clean of debris except green on bottom. Thanks

13. Back To Top    #13

You need to run the pump at least for an hour before you test and an hour after adding chemicals ... but during the shock process you should try to keep the pump on 24/7
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

You need to run the pump at least for an hour before you test and an hour after adding chemicals ... but during the shock process you should try to keep the pump on 24/7
    I have been running the pump since putting in the shock I'll start adding bleach and let you know tommorow how I'm doing. Last question tonight will the green turn white when I add enough bleach and do I then vacum it out? Thanks again for your help.

15. Back To Top    #15

If you can add the chlorine tonight, you would be better off. Adding the CL during the day allows the sun to drive off the CL. CL at night will be more effective in killing the algae. Even it it just what is in the laundry room.

Turn on the pump, Pour in the bleach, run the pump for an hour.

YES... it will go from dark green, the green/grey to grey, to white to blue/white with several set-back when you stir up the stuff on the bottom. Brushing often also helps get the stuff off the floors and walls.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

16. Back To Top    #16

It does not always turn white immediately. We do not recommend the nuclear option that pool stores suggest with huge doses of chlorine as that can cause damage. You can vacuum if you want or let the filter capture everything.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

As far as vacuuming... i am a firm believer in vacuum (to waste) as much of the junk out as possible... especially if you let it sit still for an hour or two before vacuuming (let the junk sink)
    -- Guy --

18. Back To Top    #18

it depends on the type of algae, some turn white, some brown or gray, some even kind of stay green even when dead. The problem is now you are half blind doing the shock process as you have no test tell if you are maintaining shock level. You may add enough bleach to get to shock level then be back below shock level a couple of hours latter giving the algae a chance to regrow, this is why the suggest FAS-DPD test is so important to have.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    As far as vacuuming... i am a firm believer in vacuum (to waste) as much of the junk out as possible... especially if you let it sit still for an hour or two before vacuuming (let the junk sink)
    ok thanks

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    it depends on the type of algae, some turn white, some brown or gray, some even kind of stay green even when dead. The problem is now you are half blind doing the shock process as you have no test tell if you are maintaining shock level. You may add enough bleach to get to shock level then be back below shock level a couple of hours latter giving the algae a chance to regrow, this is why the suggest FAS-DPD test is so important to have.
    I ordered the TF-100 it will be here in a few days

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast