Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stacked Stone Spillway - Grout Lines

1. Back To Top    #1

Stacked Stone Spillway - Grout Lines

Does anyone know if the grout lines are supposed to be this pronounced on a stacked stone spa spillway? All the pictures I see online don't show grout lines this obvious.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Approx. 16k gal (16.5' x 30.5') Freeform, Salt Water, Stonescapes Tahoe Blue Mini Pebble, Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, Hayward Shark Vac Cleaning Robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stacked Stone Spillway - Grout Lines

Close up:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Approx. 16k gal (16.5' x 30.5') Freeform, Salt Water, Stonescapes Tahoe Blue Mini Pebble, Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, Hayward Shark Vac Cleaning Robot

3. Back To Top    #3

I think the problem is the color of mortar, it would have blended better had they used a darker mix. Grout lines in stone are often irregular, though I do see a couple places where it looks like either the stone was chipped/irregular or they didnít get it cleaned off well. I would suspect the latter.

How long ago was it set? It usually lightens as it dries, just wondering how dry it is as I see some places in the close up that look darker.
    20k white plaster with blue quartz, IntelliFlo VS, Quad DE 100
    1000 gal spa with natural stone waterfall
    Beach entry with 2 bubblers. Pool built Spring 2013

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Terry. This was done yesterday. I shot it with water hoping that the grout wouldn't be so obvious when the spillway was working, but the grout is still very noticeable even when wet.

I hope there's an easy fix.