Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What psi should my pump/filter run

1. Back To Top    #1

What psi should my pump/filter run

Newbie with used pool here, and I have questions about my pump and filter setup. I have a jacuzzi 1 hp pump with a 17" 150 lb sand filter. What should my psi run, and at what psi should I backwash. The previous owner couldn't find the paperwork for it. Thank you all in advance.
    [i][color=#BF0040]27' x 52"....1.5 HP hayward pump 200lb sand filter.....finally building our deck :)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD
    The clean filter pressure varies from pool to pool. You should backwash when the pressure goes up by 6 to 8 psi from where it is when clean.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Thank you JasonLion. Clean it is running 15 psi, so I will backwash before 25 psi. Thanks again.
    [i][color=#BF0040]27' x 52"....1.5 HP hayward pump 200lb sand filter.....finally building our deck :)

4. Back To Top    #4

Central Texas
    That sounds reasonable. My DE filter runs at 13 PSI just after a backwash, then I backwash again once the pressure gets into the 20-22 PSI range.

I have noticed that since I added the borax and am using bleach that my filter doesn't need backwashed nearly as often.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280