New to pools need some advice

Jun 12, 2013
Not sure if this is the place to post but I don't know any better so give me a pass lol

Ok so me and my wife purchased a Summer Escapes 16 ft round pop up pool last month . I leveled the ground poured down some play sand laid down the blue tarp and setup my pool, went smoothly then i hooked up the pump and a day or two later began my nightmare . I initially Shocked the pool as advised by a friend of mine he said it was a good way to sterilize the water and jump start the chlorination process so I did shortly after my pool was white as milk I tried using the vacuum that came with the pool and it broke in 5 minutes so the "silt" as the guy at the pool place called it would not come up ,anyhow I had purchased the 1inch chlorine tablets as suggest by the manufacturer and placed 3 in my filter pump .

the next day I checked my levels and it read zero ! What no way ! so back to the pool store for some advice i was told to use a floater and that would solve all my issues so 11 dollars still reading zero , so I bought a new testing kit same results ok back to the pool store this time he sells me a bag of super shock says put half the bag in about 5 1/2 0z diluted with 5 gallons of water he says you shouldnt need chlorine for atleast a week after this treatment . Well guess what the next day I had the slightest hint of chlorine , so i decided to add 6 1" tablets into the filter and 3 into the floater that lasted a day as well then poof all gone , now I know you have to add it daily i'm not dumb but this pool is small and the amount of chemicals being pumped into it was ridicules so back to the store ,

this time a customer over heard my frustrated rant and said hey pal have you tried testing the water at the very bottom of your pool I replied umm no what difference does it make the water is the water he said well with those pools the water doesnt circulate well due to a crappy small undersized pump he said try caping the tester with your finger and filling it with the water at the bottom , so I did and sure as heck he was right chlorine off the charts to i grabbed a broom i was using to sweep the bottom of the pool with and began stirring it like a giant pasta pot , ok cool I now have chlorinated water awesome but im not doing this Crud everyday 5-6 times a day .

So i go online do a bit of research i hear people saying a sand pump is the way to go ,so I break my small bank and bought an intex sand pump it moves 1600 gallons an hr I'm told its over kill for my size pool and it may stir it like a hot tub "cool Idc " so I assemble it all get ready to connect this bad mofo to my pool and realize dang I don't have proper fittings to connect a intex pump to a summer escapes pool ! DUH!!! after several face palms and a few choice words I went back to the internet . I found a group of folks who had the same problem and they said best solution was to cut a bigger hole in my lining and use the fittings that came with the pump the said if I made all these conversion pipes I could harm the pump by restricting water flow , so I did BAM! SUCCESS AT LAST! :( no the pump is fine connections are great no leaks , but the pump wont remove the cloudiness in fact it seems worse .

I'm told intex sells a vacuum that will attache to my inlet fitting inside the pool and I can use it to vacuum directly to the sand filter but then some people say it doesnt come with the proper fittings . I'm at a loss here and I need some advice I live in Mesa Arizona and its getting hot as Heck out here , I really want the pool open ready and safe to swim in very soon but i am also working on a budget . I cant afford this 20 bucks here 60 bucks there its adding up and i'm beginning to think this "bargain pool " my wife spoke of is turning into a money pit with no return on investment .

PLEASE ANY ADVICE OR SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOMED WITH OPEN ARMS !

Mod Edit to try to add some paragraphs and punctuation to make this somewhat readable ... please help us help you by not bombarding us with a wall of unbroken text, jblizzle

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Well, I thought someone else may have commented.

The best initial investment you can make would be ordering one of the Recommended Test Kits and not trusting the pool store to do the testing for you. This coupled with the knowledge gained from reading Pool School (button at upper right of the page) will allow you to take control of the pool.

At this point we do not know if the cloudiness is due to active algae in the water which would require the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS or if it is just a matter of time for the sand filter (which are a little slow) to capture all the debris. You really need to post good test results for us to help sort that out.

Post up some test results {FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA} and we can help figure out why you are struggling with the FC.

Most importantly, what is your CYA? As that determines the levels of FC you should be maintaining.

Danomicc said:
Take that back I just got home from work checked my pool and the water is green..
It wasn't this way yesterday or lastnight I can't figure it out.
:testresults:

There wasn't enough chlorine in the pool and the sun hit it. There's a reason it's called an algae bloom :mrgreen:

Give us some test results and we'll tell you what needs to be fine tuned before you start the shock process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.