Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wish me luck...

1. Back To Top    #1

Central Texas

Wish me luck...

First time pool owner. Been lurking here and reading all I can (sort of simple minded, so I have read most of it twice) and the wife has been going to a Pool Store and getting advice. Now I have to try and convince her that the methods that I want to use, the ones that are here on this forum, are better and less expensive than buying all that **** from the pool store.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Wish me luck...

Good luck convincing the
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Buckeye, AZ 85326

You're doing the right thing. Pitch it to your wife this way....the pool store is the shady mechanic down the street trying to hustle a buck. TFP is your beloved uncle who is also a mechanic, gives FREE advice and helps you fix your car for the best value and fixes it right the first time. Pretty easy choice.
    *no mechanics were harmed while typing this post*
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Heh....pool newb myself (proper intro post coming, waiting on test kit)....ran through the BBB method with the wife and the first thing she said after the strange looks I was getting after I mentioned baking soda and Borax was....

"I don't want to smell like bleach!" .

My google-fu skills found an article showing how the lack of bleach is what gives the ammonia smell in pools.

Good luck!

5. Back To Top    #5

My hubs was sceptical when I told him this past winter I was going to start following the BBB method...until he sees how sparkling the pool water now is AND how much heavier his wallet seems.
    13,900gal 24'x52" Backyard Leisure Heritage AGP
    20ml All Swirl Flat Liner
    Pentair 1.5hp Pump and 150# Sand Filter System
    Smart Step Ladder w/Smart Light
    TF100 test kit, BBB Baby!

6. Back To Top    #6
    NE Ohio

Finding this site was miraculous when we were looking at buying an Intex... Hubs was smart enough to realize that bleach = chlorine, and it was a no-brainer from that point on.
    BBB/TFP/Taylor K-2006 Evangelist!
    6/13 - Installed AG Sharkline Heritage 21'x54" 11K gallons. Hayward 1660s sand filter, Hayward single-speed 1 hp pump; city water. Husband builds, I maintain.
    5/11 - Starter pool 6000-gallon Intex Ultra 16'x48" AG with standard 1500 gph 1/3 hp cartridge filter.