Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool design, need advise on decking

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool design, need advise on decking

So I am pretty close finalizing my upcoming Salt water FB pool with the designer and wanted to get opinions/advice regarding decking around the tool.
    I am thinking on doing a brazilian wood around it on one side and then leverage existing concrete I have on the other half and cool kote it.
    Is Brazilian Walnut (IPE) or Brazilian purpleheart hardwood going to hold against the salt water, will I need to seal it every year? I am thinking about using composite wood but read/heard that its prone to getting moldy from the pool water.
    Is there another wood I shold consider instead?

thanks for all the help.
    34x15, 17K Fiberglass In-Ground Leisure Morroccan SWG, 1 1/2HP 2 speed SuperfFlo pump, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Clean & Clear 320 cartridge filter, Pentair EasyTouch 8 panel, 4 returns, 1 skimmer, Installed August 2013, Fiberstar 3-color LEDs, AquaBot AWD robot cleaner, Pentair Easy Touch 8 Wireless remote.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool design, need advise on decking

I am just getting started also so can't comment, but that is nice looking!
    Pool: IG, 8'W x20'L x5' deep, 6000 gallons, Stonescapes Blue Tropics Mini-Pebble gunite pool
    Equipment: Hayward SwimClear 3030 cartridge filter, SP32102EE Tristar 1 HP 2-speed pump,
    Universal H-Series Low NOx H400FDN (400K BTU) heater, SWG = Hayward Aqua
    Rite with Turbo Cell 9, and a Navigator XL cleaner
    Ground break 7/12/2013 Filled 8/6/2013

3. Back To Top    #3

Cypress may be worth considering.

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks for the input. I looked into cypress but seems it will require more maintainance that IPE.
    34x15, 17K Fiberglass In-Ground Leisure Morroccan SWG, 1 1/2HP 2 speed SuperfFlo pump, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Clean & Clear 320 cartridge filter, Pentair EasyTouch 8 panel, 4 returns, 1 skimmer, Installed August 2013, Fiberstar 3-color LEDs, AquaBot AWD robot cleaner, Pentair Easy Touch 8 Wireless remote.

5. Back To Top    #5

Ipe should not be sealed, as it is pretty dense and a sealant will not do much for it. I would instead suggest a penetrating oil like TWP 100. It should be pressure washed (lightly) and oiled every year.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by antoniosp
    thanks for the input. I looked into cypress but seems it will require more maintainance that IPE.
    Not really, I oil seal it every 2-3 years, it resists bugs, little shrinkage.

I bought it green rather than kiln dried, 1/2 the price dried out after install no issues.

7. Back To Top    #7

Purpleheart splinters badly. It tend to change colors when exposed to UV radiation.

Cypress is way to soft for decking.

IPE is your best choice for decking.
    Pool is DONE!
    Pentair Intelliflo VS3050
    Pentair Easy Touch 8 + actuators + swg
    Pentair IntelliPH
    Pentair 400btu HD heater
    3- Jandy WaterColor LED's
    Hayward C5030 525sqft cartridge filter
    Waterway spa blower

8. Back To Top    #8

ok looks like I will be going with IPE. so basically if I choose not to apply oil each year, it will loose its shine and turn grey?

9. Back To Top    #9

Correct, the ipe will turn grey/silver over time.

10. Back To Top    #10

I love IPE. One of the downsides, other than cost, is the difficulty installing it. I recommend you use grooved IPE and use IPE clips with stainless screws to install it. If you decide to screw the boards down each hole will have to be predrilled and countersunk or the wood will split. Post some pictures when you finish!
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for all the help, I am going with IPE grooved, using IPE clips and stainless screws. Just placed the order today. Total deck area will be 503 sq ft.

12. Back To Top    #12

What's the price on grooved ipe in your area? When I built my deck, I used ungrooved (I used plugs) 1" and got it at $3.50 linear foot. It was pricey then, and I can only imagine it has gone up. I assume it's somewhere in the $4-5 range now?

13. Back To Top    #13

$3.49 here.same price for grooved and ungrooved