How to put a timer on a pump with test/reset button

Jun 5, 2013
Hello, I have the intex pool pump/filter that came with our intex metal frame pool. The power cord on the pump has a test/reset button. I would like the pump to run on a timer so I don't have to worry about turning it on everyday. I bought a mechanical timer (which plugs into the outlet) and the pump cord plugs into the timer. How do I bypass the reset button so it can run on the timer?

Thanks Dave but the it's definitely not working. The current set up is: regular wall outet/plug in mechanical timer/gfci pump cord. I went to an electrical shop and they said the gfci needs to be before the timer so they recommended cut the gfci end off the pump cord and replace with regular end and then replace the regular wall outlet with a gfci wall outlet so the set up would be: gfci wall outlet/plug in mechanical timer/pump cord with regular end. Does this seem feasible?

You can do that, and given the situation that might be the best solution. However be aware that a GFCI should work just fine after the timer (ie where it is right now) and if it doesn't stay on it is defective.

All Intex devices (pumps, swg, etc.) that have gfci devices on the power cord trip when power is lost to them, ie unplugged, power outage, switched off, etc. Most Intex devices like their pumps and swg have internal 24 hr timers that kick then device back on at the same time everyday that it was initially turned on and run for the time limit set and then sleep til the cycle starts over again.

Edit: Both my SWG and 2650 pump/sand filter (which are both less than a month old) have gfci's on the power cords and any time power is lost to them they trip and have to be reset, which is not the case for the gfci outlet they are hooked to.

My SIL has an Intex pump and swg that run on a timer and they both have gfci's and neither of them trip when the timer kicks off and back on.

If the gfci tripping is common then hers is certainly different.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.