Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What level of FC does it become unsafe to swim?

1. Back To Top    #1

What level of FC does it become unsafe to swim?

So I was wondering on the tail end of a shock process when you can safely swim? What are the effects of swimming in higher than normal FC levels?
    34,000 gal., 20x40 Roman, IG Steel/Vinyl, 500# Hayward Sand Filter, 2HP Ecostar-VS, Savi Note LEDs, Autopilot Digital 220 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What level of FC does it become unsafe to swim?

It's safe to swim up to shock level once you passed all the criteria for stopping the shock process.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok thanks. I think I narrowly avoided an algae bloom and was considering another short shock, but I didn't want to keep everyone out for over a week. Is it worth it in this situation to just do a "mini-shock" without going all the way to shock level and holding until passing the ONCLT? Maybe that would be a waste of time and bleach, but I work daylight to dark and that process can be tedious.
    34,000 gal., 20x40 Roman, IG Steel/Vinyl, 500# Hayward Sand Filter, 2HP Ecostar-VS, Savi Note LEDs, Autopilot Digital 220 SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd raise it to shock level and run the OCLT to make sure. You can use the shock level in the pool calc as it's a little more conservative.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

like it says in Dave's signature you want to have a CC of < .5

I jumped into 10+ FC before and nothing bad happened... just to make sure I also took a cold outside shower with the waterhose afterwards.
    32x15 IG Borate+Salt, Pentair VS+SVRS, howard swim pure 40 SWG, Pentair 4000 48sqft DE, Mastertemp 300, Electric Pool Cover, Polaris P93, 4 Kids for Aeration, ;)