Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool - Tampa Florida

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool - Tampa Florida

First I want to say that this site is awesome. I’ve been on this site for a couple of month’s now researching information about pool builds, equipment, maintenance etc. and it’s made me a very informed consumer. I normally do not post on forums but because of how helpful this site has been to me I feel that it is now my obligation to contribute.

Here are the specs from the contract

Freeform pool 15’ x 30’ (3’ to 6’ deep)
    5’ x 7’ sun shelf with bubbler
    2 deck jets
    2 drains, 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 1 vacuum line, 2” deco drain with cap
    940 sq ft brick pavers
    Hayward Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump
    Hayward DE filter
    Hayward Aquarite salt system
    Pentair valves
    Hayward Colorlogic LED
    Pebbletec – Caribbean Blue
    Two story screened enclosure (bronze) with 2 doors

We finally got the permit last week the builder just started the site prep and is scheduled to start the dig next week. I welcome any comments / opinions. I will update with my experience as the build progresses and I will post pics once the real fun begins.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool - Tampa Florida

Exciting! We are in Tampa as well...got quite a few bids from builders. We are waiting on our loan to close, then we can submit permit! Looking forward to your pictures!
    - Vanessa
    Almost done! 15x30 IG 3ft-8ft deep | SWG | Spa w/ 400K Natural Gas heater | Blue Granite Pebble sheen | JEP 1.5 VS pump | DE Filter | White/Tan/Charcoal Brick Pavers | Bronze Screen | Solar Panels

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok we are officially started. The dig started on Friday and steel was installed on Saturday. Inspection today and plumbing and shotcrete tomorrow hopefully. Is there anything I should be looking out for?

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Ok, we're gonna hold you to that comment about posting pics!! That hole was dug days ago!!

I'd check the rough depths and dimensions to make sure nothing is out of whack before they shoot the shell. You should understand all of the plumbing they've done before the shell goes in also so it's in alignment with your specs. Just double-check any aspect of everydays work to see if something doesn't smell right. Found numerous things that way which, though it may feel like you are being nosy, is in everyone's best interest.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim
    Ok, we're gonna hold you to that comment about posting pics!! That hole was dug days ago!!

I'd check the rough depths and dimensions to make sure nothing is out of whack before they shoot the shell. You should understand all of the plumbing they've done before the shell goes in also so it's in alignment with your specs. Just double-check any aspect of everydays work to see if something doesn't smell right. Found numerous things that way which, though it may feel like you are being nosy, is in everyone's best interest.
    Order your test kit now, so you can stay on top of things during the fill.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Inspector passed the steel, tomorrow plumbing and shotcrete. as promised here are the pics. I will take better pics tonight when I get home.

7. Back To Top    #7

Where is the light niche, or where will it be?
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

8. Back To Top    #8

The light will go in the deep end. that will be added tomorrow before the shotcrete.

9. Back To Top    #9

rough plumbing added with light nichethe pool was shot yesterday. here are some pictures of the result of yesterdays work.

10. Back To Top    #10

the pic below shows the colors that we selected.
    The pavers are Harvest Moon, the Coping is Terracotta, pebtec is caribbean blue. We currently do not have any step markers but my wife may change her mind. The issue is that we do not want to have the steps look too busy. I thought about a 2" square but it's hard matching the tiles. I also thought about using the same waterline tiles but there are so many variation in color that I'm afraid that it will not look right.

11. Back To Top    #11

Plumbing was done yesterday. I have to give it to the guys working on my site, at every stage of the build it has rained hard and his guys (subs) worked through heavy thunderstorms and are keeping things moving. Here are some more pics.

12. Back To Top    #12

Looking good. The guys doing our pool won't work in the rain. They have worked a total of 3 hours in as many days. Caribbean Blue is nice. We didn't want to pay the extra $800 for it so we went with the Caroline Blue which was only $500 extra.
    23.6x14 IG free form ~8K gallon, Pentair VS 3050 Intelliflo, GloBrite LED lighting w/IntelliBrite controller, Aztec Cobalt water tile. CLI Carolina Blue pebble finish, Bronze pool cage, 336 sqft Heliocol solar heating. Build Thread and landscaping Solar heating install

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm supposed to have two deck jets in the back and looking at the pictures and I don't see any plubming for the deck jets. Is the plumbing for the deck jets tapped into the return or is there a dedicated line for the deck jets? the coping is almost done and pavers are next so I called the PB and sent him the pic.

14. Back To Top    #14

Hello, we are trying to make a final decision on a builder in south tampa, can you tell me who you went with? Sounds like you have been happy with them so far? Thanks.

15. Back To Top    #15

It's been some time since I last posted. We were hoping to be done by this week but it doesn't look that way. hopefully next week or so. Paver's and waterline tiles are done. Pebble tec scheduled for this week. here are some pics.

Pavers before screen.

Waterline tiles.

16. Back To Top    #16

Looks great! Like the paver color with your house color...Are you screening it as well?
    - Vanessa
    Almost done! 15x30 IG 3ft-8ft deep | SWG | Spa w/ 400K Natural Gas heater | Blue Granite Pebble sheen | JEP 1.5 VS pump | DE Filter | White/Tan/Charcoal Brick Pavers | Bronze Screen | Solar Panels

17. Back To Top    #17

Yes, hopefully they complete the screen within the next two weeks.

18. Back To Top    #18

more work this week. Pebble tec, Pumps, Electirc, Screen and started filling. Here are some pics.

Pebble tec being applied

after acid wash and start of fill.

This morning

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Looks great! I can picture a video some day from your backyard of kids taking a second story flying leap. Oh, I just saw you have two boys...good luck with that one. Work on common sense now and a locked liquor cabinet later.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

20. Back To Top    #20

New to TFP, but live in E. Hillsborough and getting paver estimates from local paver company's. May I ask who did your paver job. Looks real nice. We currently have terra cotta coping and are thinking about yellow, red, charcoal. Is that your color sceme for the pavers? We also have a demo of existing concrete pool deck prior to paving and are dealing with a few uneven yard/drainage issues. How did your paver installer/pb address any drainage concerns.