Sun screen

This may be a dumb question but I need to ask. I have been reading elsewhere that pool owners don't like when people slather up with lotion then get in the pool. Do pool owners not like lotion? I have been genetically blessed with very little hair on my head. If I didn't wear sun screen my head would be bright red and not very pleasant feeling. Do you guys wear sunscreen? Does it mess the water balance or something? Thanks or your thoughts. Ryan

I only mind the one's that slather it on and the jump right it. It just washes right off. Don't you people understand!!!!

The ones that let it soak in for several mins. are doing it right......

I did notice upon opening this year i had a scum line i didn't at closing. I also took my DE filter completely apart to clean after 1 year of use and it was nasty. I attribute both issues to sunscreen use.

Richard320 said:
If you allow it to soak in, there wouldn't be much problem. But far too many people slather it on and jump in immediately, and you can actually see the oil slick they leave behind!
This! I have seen it. A friend of ours found it necessary to cover himself with about 5x the required amount for a early afternoon swim around 5:30 when the pool becomes shaded by trees anyway. :hammer:

Reminds me of the cloud that liquid chlorine creates, only the lotion clouds aren't a good thing. And it doesn't seem to disappear as quickly either.

I'd say that 80% of what I clean out of our cartridge filters each year is sun screen. My wife uses the pool for water therapy every day so with that much sun exposure she needs to use sun screen so a lot does get into the pool water, though as was noted by others letting it soak in first helps. It produces a film on the water, but that doesn't last too long.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Crud!.I'm out or I'd tell you! Nothing special for sure. Maybe a quart sized bottle that says to only add about 8 ounces or so. Wasn't expensive at all. Dangit.......back to the pool store before the 4th holiday!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.